Options

PhD Information Security, Information Assurance

2»

Comments

• Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    da_vato wrote: »
    For those of you that are in or have completed a doctorates degree, what was you impressions from a masters program to a doctorate program? At first did any of you feel like "what did I get myself into?" or was it a rather simple transition?

I am considering attending Capitol-College. I attended their tour and spoken with some of the staff but I am still fuzzy on the difference between (or transition from) a "practitioner to a scholar."

"What did I get myself into?" Yes, it happened to me because you need to read a lot, average about over 100 pagers per week per class. Even though you take a course regarding to Penetration Testing during your Master degree, and you have to look at a different angel as a scholar for Doctorate level. It is not a simple transition because you are good in your field, and you think you know everything and your opinion worth for others to listen. For the Doctorate your opinion does not count until you graduate. You will be told that books are garbage, only peer reviewed article/journal are worth for research and information.

Another frustration you'll get that when you do the research, and you read a peer reviewed article. You'll get the introduction, methodology, and the result...the original author do not provide the data.

The idea of "practitioner to a scholar" from a professional engineering/administration likes us to a researcher. You might learn knew topic by exploring on yourself, but do not expect learning anything new in a Doctorate such as what is Software/System Development Life Cycle. One should possess the knowledge in SDLC prior taking Software/System Engineering Engineering class. You will research on different method of how imput the data to get the result that the industrial will adopt to create new product or something likes that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    blurryfaceitblurryfaceit Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been looking into the Nova program, how do you like it and how is it going for you so far? Any advice?
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I've been looking into the Nova program, how do you like it and how is it going for you so far? Any advice?

Since my last replied from this forum. I withdrew myself from Nova Southeastern University's Ph.D in Information Assurance due to family matters. I ran into issues with marriage, and my children were removed by the authority from my ex-wife. After the divorce settlement, I become a full-time single dad with 2 and 3 years old children as well as full-time professional. I have an option to return where I left off the program. However, I plan to apply to University of Leicester for Ph.D in Management with information security risk management (researched base program).

I love Nova Southeastern University's program; however, the program price tag is a little high. Especially, there is no return on investment if you are looking to competing with cybersecurity/ information security academia with Ph.D in Computer Science graduates. You have a chance to meet other professional or even professors around the country at the weekend residency in Fort Lauderdale. Course structures depends on professors, with you taking Information System professor he expects you to think more in human perspective. If you take courses with technical such as computer science, he expects you to do more computer works. I love to do research by reading peer-review articles, but I hate certain paper with too much statistic and other mathematic equations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about that! I hope everything worked out for the best. Thank you for replying. I'm currently enrolled for next month but now I'm moving over to Europe for a job and I feel like this is going to be complicated making residencies and keeping up with the course work. How many classes did you normally take? Right now I'm looking into Capitol Technology and actually going to start looking into that UK School you posted.
  • Options
    In case I do continue to go through with the Nova program, any advice? Professors you would recommend? I'll be in the IA program. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Sorry I should have clarified, Any more advice on the course material, do most have papers due every week or every other week , are there discussion boards? Basically whats the work like for the majority of the classes you took. I most likely will be staying away from CS courses and steering more for all IS courses. Thanks again.
  • Options
    neslinneslin Registered Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you still interested? I'm almost finished with the program and can answer probably most of the questions you might have...
  • Options
    neslinneslin Registered Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Coursework varies on the course, but for the most part its anywhere from 2-6 papers per class. I'm in the Information Systems program and everything is centered on becoming a researcher. I believe the IA program is setup the same way. Tons of reading, some classes have group projects, most involve dissecting and understanding literature. There's some classes that are good to start with, to get a good base. This program is hard, I've busted my rear and almost quit a few times. The biggest thing, it's super expensive, you have to know that going in.
  • Options
    Hey Neslin, Thanks a lot for your responses. I know exactly what you mean, I've been busting my ass the past year trying to get through and I have been having my own moments of just quitting. It's mentally and financially straining. I think I have already put enough into it where I will continue. I think at this point my main concerns are being able to finish on time and by on time I mean within the requested credits and no extra needed for directed or diss phase. How's that going for you ?