Options

taking CISSP this Saturday

chucktaylor244chucktaylor244 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
i've been lurking here for a few months, but figure i'll finally post:

taking CISSP in a couple days, first try. i've been using Conrad (both books) and the Sybex book as my primary means of study. no bootcamp or anything.

I've been in the IT industry over 20 years, have a CCIE (R/S and Security), Masters in Infosec and a PhD as well..

I've been meaning to get the CISSP for awhile but put it off, figure now is the time!

i've been studying hard-core for about 3 months now, i'll post my results here saturday afternoon

Comments

• Options
    bigdummybigdummy Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on Saturday!

Given your background and certs/credentials, I'd say you have a pretty damn good chance of passing :D

I've been using the same two books, so looking forward to hearing whether you think their coverage of the material is sufficient...
  • Options
    thanks, i think i would stand a better than average chance.

i also have the shon harris book, i lasted about two chapters before i discarded it. I simply do not like the way the information was presented.

The CBK is even more dry, i bought it and skimmed a few chapters but stuck it back on the bookshelf

i have been using the mcgraw hill tests and paid for the CCCURE membership. CCCURE is ok, but gravitated toward the mcgraw hill tests for most of my studying.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have a CCIE is R&S, Masters in InfoSec and a PhD. If you're not going to get it, who will? :)
    Good Luck on the exam. I am expecting you will have lots of fun!
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • Options
    here's my study plan, i planned a 3 month block of time for the exam:

started off reading conrad 2nd edition, then read the sybex book (cover to cover)

then i took 3 days to study each domain i.e. i focused on a single domain for 3 full days.

then...after i hit all the domains (after 30 days) i started over, but focused on 1 domain per day for 10 days.

and finally..i hit up the practice tests. first using CCCURE (one domain per day) then the mcgraw hill tests.

after i hit each domain individually, i started doing them all and added in the eric conrad tests on his website.

i'm finishing up today and tomorrow with a quick read of the 11th hour and a review of my notes.

i gave a lot of thought to planning out my exam attack, i've taken so many certification tests that the length should not tire me out mentally.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your study plan is great and your experience will carry you very far. The McGraw-Hill questions were the ones I used for a majority of my studies and they helped out a lot.

Good luck, you got it!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    yeah, i hope it works out...the mcgraw hill tests were highly recommended. being as they mentioned shon harris i would assume they correlate to her book. there were really good for pointing out knowledge gaps
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm glad that you went from lurker to poster icon_wink.gif That is a great study plan. A doctorate, two CCIEs, PMP, and a CISSP makes you very marketable and something I aspire to be one day. I wish you well on your exam tomorrow and look forward to your update!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excuse my ignorance, but did the McGraw-Hill tests come on the exam? How are they different from these? McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams

I'm still working with the exams at CCCure, but I'd like to diversify a bit, no matter how intimidated I may be.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I reference the "McGraw Hill" exams, I am referencing the ones you linked as well as the ones that came with the Shon Harris AIO (McGraw Hill is the publisher of the AIO series). I highly recommend both.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Doyen wrote: »
    I'm glad that you went from lurker to poster icon_wink.gif That is a great study plan. A doctorate, two CCIEs, PMP, and a CISSP makes you very marketable and something I aspire to be one day. I wish you well on your exam tomorrow and look forward to your update!

to be honest i never really knew about the forum until i started studying for the exam as i was looking to nail down some resources. That said, forum seems pretty squared away :) i think i'll stick around for awhile.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish you well on you exam and anxiously await your results!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.