Options

Passed 70-290 Today

hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
Passed the 290 exam this morning with a 930, not too bad considering that I had to goto the testing center 3 times in order to take it. The first 2 times I went through a dozen questions or so and the computer would crash, then the other computers wouldn't allow me the login with my prometric ID. And it did the same thing for me today, but after the TC Admin was on the phone with prometric for over 90 minutes I was able to finish the exam (95% of the time they were on hold!!). Anyway on to 291!!

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude.........any tips
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    Big things to study:

1.) Backup methods.
    2.) Volume Shadow Copies ( Just know the basics, creating and moving them)
    3.) Share and NTFS Security
    4.) Managing users and groups in AD; also some Group Policy
    5.) Manipulating Dynamic disks, Disk Mirroring, and RAID. Majority of the questions that I delt with were concerning software level. There was little discussion about hardware fault tolerance.
    6.) SUS and IIS & Internet Printing

Really most of it is just day to day operations of a Server 2003. If you don't currently have access to a network. You can easily practice on a single 2003 server. Probably the most challenging questions are understading how share permissions and NTFS permissions work together. Questions can get pretty wordy and you can get confused easily.

I did have 5 simulation questions, I think that they were the easiest of the entire test!!
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    congratulations man, that's a good score

what did you use to study?
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    I skimmed the offical MS Press book, read the Sybex book. I went through both in a week. Used PrepLogic and Measure up practice tests. I get more out of the practice tests than anything else. I only use learning mode and study the explanation of ones I miss. I also always pritn out and study the links that the explanations provide. I devoted a total of two weeks study before taking the test. I also have a little more than five years experience working as a Net Admin hence the short study time.
  • Options
    Bmac000Bmac000 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats on passing well done. My test crashed on me to then I had to wait about 25 mins while the PC was rebooted and then start again, I didn't have any issues with pro-metric re-accepting my login it went striaght back in.
  • Options
    Come to find out it was the testing centers problem. They were using AMD machines that didn't have level 3 cache. The test for some reason uses level 3 cache. That is where the problem was comming from. Promtric was able to send some files down to the testing center that disabled level 3 on the test.
  • Options
    rarober1@yahoo.co.ukrarober1@yahoo.co.uk Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done mate! I sat the 290 this morning and scraped through with a 746! Over the moon cos it felt as though I'd marked all for review! Simulations were the easiest part, I agree! Hey Ho, onto the 291 now and that will get me my MCSA! not bad!
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude.......
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Congrats. Soon I will be following.....
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    nice

you have the experience so i'm sure alot was familiar to you
    my job got me a monster laptop so i can run virtual pc on to mess around and get more familiar with the server/client environment by building my own virtual network....

good job on the test, i know it feels good to see that CONGRATULATIONS at the end!
    get back to studying!!!