Options

Home Lab question.

nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a very small Home Lab using VMWare Workstation 9. I've run into a configuration snag and I'm hoping someone can help.

What I want is to have one Server with three clients. I'll be running Server 2012 R2 and 3 Windows 8 clients. I want the main server to be on a private (host-only) subnet of 10.1.1.0. My main home network is your standard 192.168.x.x. I want the server to be able to serve the private subnet and also be able to communicate with my home network so as to be able to see the internet. Is this possible?

I tried to configure two virtual cards on my server. One is using host-only (Vmnet1) and has an ip configured to 10.1.1.20. The other NIC is configured as NAT and has an IP of 192.168.244.129. My server can see the Internet and my internal home network with no problems. The issue is when I configure my first client workstation. I set it up to use the Custom (VMnet1) virtual network and set the IP address manually to 10.1.1.2. Both are using the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I am unable to ping the server from my workstation and vice versa. I am positive that I've screwed something up with the configuration but don't know where to look.

Having an issue finding any good resources on the web. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    massontechmassontech Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why don't you setup a server and configure RRAS!

Also try to disable your firewall and then ping again.
  • Options
    nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    massontech wrote: »
    Why don't you setup a server and configure RRAS!

Also try to disable your firewall and then ping again.

Thanks for the advice. I actually resolved this a few days ago. I had to set up firewall rules on both machines to allow ICMP ping responses. That resolved the PING issue.

Your advice regarding RRAS is spot on. I installed RAS on my Server and configured it as NAT. I can now get internet on my client machines. Pretty cool.

Cheers.
  • Options
    massontechmassontech Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Brilliant! Good luck with your studies..