Options

Please review my resume

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
As the title says - it's review time. I've taken out a lot of specifics. Please let me know if something needs to be changed, or if it looks old, or any advice would be great.

Also to note, when converting over to PDF it completely ruined my formatting. So, please ignore that part. Otherwise feel free to help me out.

My company just informed me that all the IT personnel do not have a secure position within the company. Not the best thing to hear on a Friday morning.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Running out to lunch but at an eagle's view noticed:

- Way too long due mostly to bad formatting (but you mention that so not an issue)
    - Consider opening with a Professional Summary
    - Hate the bullet fest. I recommend a paragraph listing duties/responsibilities followed by a few bullets listing key accomplishments, preferably those tangible ones that resulted in saving money, optimizing processes, etc
    - Right now the way it reads you are a victim of the "Install, Configure, and Maintain Syndrome." Nothing tells me what you have done that will separate you from the thousand of other techs out there. Show me what you have accomplished. Show me how you will add value to my team
    - Future certs: too generic; doesn't bring any value. I would only list them if a specific time short time frame is included
    - Is it common over there to list high school?
  • Options
    I appreciate your input. I've been thinking of getting rid of the bullet points.

I'll be sure to be more specific on the jobs that I have done in the past. I actually don't live in the UK anymore, but ever since I have applied for jobs in the US I have been asked if I have a HS diploma (we don't call it a diploma in England), so I added it on there for them to see.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    why don't you put the dates of the jobs?
  • Options
    I've heard pro's and con's to putting the dates on there.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Really? What cons? If you don't put dates my alarm goes off instantly. I have 30 seconds, if not less, to look at your resume. As a result, I will immediately assume you have something to hide. Possible job hopper or something.
  • Options
    That's a very valid point. I suppose the con's I have heard gear more towards people that do contract jobs (not I, though). Not a job hopper at all. I'll correct that. Thanks!
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Way to long and I would not list certifications you are working towards. I would mention that in interview. Like one person said lucky if get someone to look at your resume for 30 seconds and that is still too long.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.