Options

Starting WGU - July 1st - BS, Business - Information Technology Management

Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm Mr. Meeseeks. Look at me! I transferred in only 6 CU icon_sad.gif . I felt another 12 should have transferred and appealed. They shot down the appeal. Only 114 to go! icon_rolleyes.gif

I plan on hitting this hard and taking an immediate pre-assessment on classes I feel I can test out of. I can dedicate about 30 hours a week and hope to finish after 2 terms. I currently work 40 hours every week with no after-hours calls. I feel I have at least a little knowledge on most of the courses covered. I hope to update this as I progress through the program. Only hangup I might have now is the financial aid. Might have to take out loans.

I am surprised at how quickly I got through what seems to be a long enrollment process for most. I believe I initiated this on the 2nd of this month and the last thing is the EWB Orientation. What is the highest number of CUs you have seen someone finish in a semester?

Comments

• Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome! I have 82 credits/25 classes to go myself. I am in the same program. I have read on this forum, someone completed their BA in 1 term! Not sure how that was possible, but as most IT's will say, taking an IT based program with certifications can usually go by fast, but a Business Degree with IT is a different animal to attack.

You're coming to a good school, I paid for some of it myself, the rest with military assistance, and I'm glad. I already am finished with one class, took 1 week. Ha, just need to schedule my exam.

Anyways, good luck, kick butt, stay motivated and focused.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    If you average just over 1 week per class, you'll be done in 1 term! What courses do you have scheduled you're first term? Did you just go with your mentor's suggestions?
  • Options
    Got word today that I don't qualify for financial aid icon_sad.gif student loans it is...
  • Options
    Had my first phone chat with my student mentor yesterday. Planned for our first follow-up after their yearly retreat to Utah. Things seem to be going pretty slow thus far. I mentioned how I wanted to accelerate through the program as quickly as possible. She said she was on board with that but I didn't really get the feeling of that being true. I mentioned hearing about people being able to take higher up technical courses first (Databases) and then having the basic courses (Database Fundamentals) skipped. She said she had never heard of this before. I told her it was probably more towards BSIT rather than my course but was curious if anything was able to be "skipped". She said she would look into it.

I apparently won't receive my package with the webcam until around the 15th. Funny how I got into the program so quickly and now it seems I'll be waiting on WGU. Didn't hear from my student mentor until the day before 1st term and we won't be discussing my 1st term degree plan until half way through the 1st month. Have to wait on webcam. Hope this doesn't become the norm.

I took my first pre-assessment today. Organizational Behavior and Leadership (BNC1). Score: 60%; Cut: 51%; . Didn't touch any of the material, just wanted to get a feel for things. I have always been a great test taker. Kind of feel like Ken Jennings or one of those other Jeopardy winners that talk about winning because they know how to break down the clues and quickly find what they (questioners?) are looking for. A few of the questions I was like "uhhh... dufuq?" and guessed. I am pretty sure guessing isn't really a good idea for the pre-assessments. Should probably leave it blank or answer something I know is incorrect. Would give me a better idea of what I need to go over before the final assessments. I basically bombed Group Development with 38%. Would this be an indicator of me not being a team player? Haha. I will have to go over vocabulary and I should be good.

Do the student mentors get notifications when I complete pre-assessments (PA)? Or will I have to get in contact with her to schedule the assessment? Guess I'll be going to testing centers for the first few courses.

It looks like I can take the PA for Principals of Management. This sounds relatively easy to me. I think I will take this tonight if I'm not too tired. Are there any other courses I should get out of the way? Is there any sort of way easily distinguishing which PAs I can take? I can take Microeconomics but not IT Fundamentals II! A lot of questions, I know :)
  • Options
    It's been so long since I have done Algebra ("Intro to" I should say).... Foundations of College Mathematics (AGC1). Score: 83%; Cut: 64%. Completely skipped a question I didnt feel like doing. Just to late in the evening to be doing this :) I apparently need to work on Graphing and Linear Equations (67%). I like to think I have a decent grasp on those so I will just chalk it up to it being bed time
  • Options
    Completed two more PAs. Going to email my mentor tonight and see if we can get some of these assessments going. Principals of Management (MGC1) Score: 70%; Cut: 52%. Guessed on a few of these. Alot just seemed to make sense. Geography (BVC1) Score: 81%; Cut: 70%. I was disappointed by my score. There were a lot more environmental questions than I was expecting. I need to study on Geographic Characteristics.
  • Options
    Took the assessment for MGC1 tonight. Score: 73%; Cut: 52%. Thought I would do a little better but the questions seemed a little harder than the PA. Updating my OP to track results. I plan on taking AGC1 and BVC1 this weekend. And hopefully get at least 1 English paper completed.

EDIT: nevermind, guess I can't edit my original post??

Course
    Code
    Date
    P Cut
    P Score
    Time
    Result
    Date
    Cut
    Score
    Time
    Result
    Units

Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    BNC1
    7/1/2014
    0:37
    Pass
    7/21/2014
    51%
    67%
    0:21
    Pass

Principles of Management
    MGC1
    7/2/2014
    0:33
    Pass
    7/17/2014
    52%
    73%
    Pass

Foundations of College Mathematics
    AGC1
    7/1/2014
    0:57
    Pass
    7/18/2014
    64%
    83%
    0:39
    Pass

Geography
    BVC1
    7/2/2014
    0:35
    Pass

Intro to Probability and Statistics
    CJC1
    7/4/2014
    1:00
    Pass

Resoning and Problem Solving
    CLC1
    7/4/2014
    0:34
    Pass

Elements of Effective Communication
    TJC1
    7/6/2014
    1:13
    Fail

Principles of Accounting
    VYC1
    7/8/2014
    Fail

• Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so you passed 6 classes so far?
  • Options
    No, those were Pre-Assessments. Just MGC1 has been completed.
  • Options
    Moving right along.

Completed: 10 CU
    Transferred: 6 CU
    To Go: 104 CU

Any pre-assessments I don't pass by 20%+ I find I am spending about 3-4 hours of study time to prepare for the Assessments. Seems to be working pretty good. Still working up the courage/will to start the first English paper. That was my least favorite subject in high school. Trying to get Geography loaded into the term and hopefully have that knocked out in the next 24 hours. Maybe 2 more courses after that completed by Sunday. Updating the chart above with my status/results.
  • Options
    Quick update here. I have just submitted my final task for TBP1 (WTF is with the course naming by the way???). My first 3 tasks were evaluated without needing revisions. These English Comp courses I have been dreading the most. 1 down, 1 to go!

I have also completed Geography (BVC1). Cut score was 71%, I passed with 74%. Disappointed with this one, I was at 82% on my 2nd pre-assessment immediately before I took the assessment. I'm going to chalk that one up to "brain drain". Do not take a PA and then Assessment immediately after. At least wait a few hours. Most of the stuff I studied (because I was directed to it by the Coaching Report) was about the history of certain countries (like USSR) which was a complete waste. I would recommend anyone going through this to just skip anything that looks like it could fall under a course called History. That puts me at:

Completed: 16 CU
    Transferred: 6 CU
    To Go: 98

I am staying on pace. Trying to complete a class per week to get done in 1 term. It's a lot of hard work and family life is already suffering. But the quicker I am done, the quicker things will go back to normal. And hopefully this will put me in a position to advance up the ladder and the wife can quit her job, go back to school and we will have a lot more quality time.

Rest for now, C278 PA tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    nice buddy keep it up!
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job there.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

I am beginning to open the flood gates for the pre-assessments.

I have finished English Comp I (TBP1). 3 papers were accepted without needing revision. I had a minor setback with the final paper with citing. Resubmitted and passed that one. It wasn't actually as bad as I thought it would be! Now I am not dreading Eng Comp II as much now.

Started on Quantitative Analysis for Business (QAT1). This has opened my mind a bit. I actually like crunching numbers. Maybe I could see myself as a business analyst? If anyone does similar work and can provide me with detail, that would be cool. I have all 5 tasks submitted. 3 passed with flying colors. 1 was kicked back for minor stuff. That 1 and the 5th I am waiting to be evaluated. Tasksteam has been really slow. Is it a certain group that evaluates based on the course? Or is everything from all courses thrown into the same general queue? It took about 5 days for the first 4 tasks to be evaluated... This course should be completed tomorrow.

I am also currently enrolled in College Algebra (C278). This kicked my butt a bit. A majority of this I have not used since high school. I dont see the value in learning it if it will not be used in my career path. I think this has made it harder to digest the information and remember the equations. I passed my 2nd pre-assessment with a score of 79%, Cut score of 67%. I like math but not this course... I will take the assessment Monday or Tuesday.

With the recommendation of my mentor, I took the PA for Fundamentals of Business Law and Ethics (LWC1). Scored 68%, cut score 60%. A lot of it is pretty much common sense. I will just need to touch up on SOX, contractual relationships, and maybe dispute resolution. I should have this complete by the end of the week.

Integrated Physical Sciences (UIT1) - my mentor advised me to hold off on this one. They may be dropping it from the program in favor of another science course. I am debating if I should take the PA for it. The material looks pretty intense and I do like a challenge. I am up in the air on this one.

Information Systems Management (DAC1) - I am really disappointed in how I performed on this one. Score 58%, cut 63%. I did take the PA some time after midnight which was really stupid. I did about 3-4 hours of consulting plus some other mentally draining activities that day and should not have touched it.

I plan on having 32 CUs completed by the end of the week (QAT1, C278, LWC1) plus the 6 I transferred in. Hopefully about 32% complete at that time :D

Course
    Code
    Date
    P Cut
    P Score
    Time
    Result
    Date
    Cut
    Score
    Time
    Result
    Units

Organizational Behavior and Leadership
    BNC1
    7/1/2014
    0:37
    Pass
    7/21/2014
    51%
    67%
    0:21
    Pass

Principles of Management
    MGC1
    7/2/2014
    Pass
    7/17/2014
    52%
    73%
    Pass

Foundations of College Mathematics
    AGC1
    7/1/2014
    0:57
    Pass
    7/18/2014
    64%
    83%
    0:39
    Pass

Geography
    BVC1
    7/2/2014
    0:35
    Pass
    7/28/2014
    71%
    74%
    0:26
    Pass

English Composition I
    TBP1
    7/2/2014

8/2/2014

Pass

Quantitative Analysis for Business
    QAT1
    8/4/2014

~

~

Intro to Probability and Statistics
    CJC1
    7/4/2014
    Pass

Resoning and Problem Solving
    CLC1
    7/4/2014
    0:34
    Pass

Elements of Effective Communication
    TJC1
    7/6/2014
    1:13
    Fail

Principles of Accounting
    VYC1
    7/8/2014
    Fail

Fundamentals of Business Law and Ethics
    LWC1
    8/9/2014
    0:49
    Pass

College Algebra
    C278
    8/10/2014
    1:22
    Pass

Information Systems Management
    DAC1
    8/10/2014
    0:44
    Fail

• Options
    so you passed 5 classes so far?
  • Options
    22306 wrote: »
    Yes, the section of that spreadsheet to the right is the actual assessment. 5 Completed, 3 more will be finished this week
  • Options
    thats great man keep it up! when i start on sept i plan to finish it as fast as possible!

• Options
    thats great man keep it up! when i start on sept i plan to finish it as fast as possible!
    Thanks.

A little update since it is the end of my first term...

I really stalled out for a while. I think I burned myself out with work/school/family. Hard to excel at all 3 for an extended period of time. Also injured myself and had to take some meds that made it hard to focus. I ended strong by finishing my last 2 classes in the past 4 days.

With the 6 units transferred in and the 32 completed (9 courses), I currently sit at 38 units finished. I fell well short of my target of being half way done. But that's ok! With the PAs I passed above and my IT experience, I should be able to accelerate pretty quickly after a good week off here. I see 17 units that should go fast:
    IT Fundamentals II
    IT Fundamentals III
    Fundamentals of Business Law and Ethics
    Into to Prob. and Stats.

I've never scheduled a test at a 3rd party site for certification... hopefully it wont be too much of a hassle..
  • Options
    emmt46emmt46 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I just say that it is awesome that you have done so well in your program!!! I just started at WGU on 5/1/15 and im not sure if I should take the pre-assessments first, then study what I struggle with, or read through the book like they recommend. May I ask how you are doing now with your program and your courses? I am enrolled in the Bachelors of Science in marketing management program and I had 56cu's transfer in so I only have 64 to go (which equal out to 13 courses), but I really want to finish by December 31st at least. Any advise for me?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    emmt46 wrote: »
    Can I just say that it is awesome that you have done so well in your program!!! I just started at WGU on 5/1/15 and im not sure if I should take the pre-assessments first, then study what I struggle with, or read through the book like they recommend. May I ask how you are doing now with your program and your courses? I am enrolled in the Bachelors of Science in marketing management program and I had 56cu's transfer in so I only have 64 to go (which equal out to 13 courses), but I really want to finish by December 31st at least. Any advise for me?

My suggestion, I am in the B.Sc. Information Technology Security track, is to take the preassessment as soon as possible. That will help you focus your study time to just what you are weak in. That will, usually, save you time and effort. Talk to your Student Mentor about doing that. S/He should be okay with that.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    emmt46 wrote: »
    I probably already stated this but my 1st term numbers:
    6 CU - Transferred in
    32 CU - Completed

My 2nd term was a lot harder with work and side jobs going on:
    16 CU - completed

So in 2 terms I am finished with 54 out of 121 CU.

How are you doing so far? Did you take stryder144's advice and hit up a bunch of pre-assessments at the start? I think thats really the way to go. Assess what you do and dont know, hit the areas you need to hit, wrap things up and do the assessment.

I failed my first assessment. DAC1. They really make you learn it after that. I got 60% on the assessment with a cut of 62%. Make sure you are confident you will pass before you schedule your assessments!