Options

Does anyone save old Linux install disks?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
What do you all do with old Linux install disks?

Save them? I have a number of them, except they are just collecting dust...Install them? Give them away? Throw them away?

I have such fond memories...

***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Those aren't even that old ;) I think I have slackware 3.x somewhere , memories of installing from floppy disks ...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Holy crap! I haven't seen a Storm Linux distro disk in a long, long time! Man, I miss Maximum Linux magazine.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually just threw a bunch of old disks, boxes, and cd-roms out. I had a Redhat 4 set that was included as well as some older slackware installs from around 2000.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    They work great if you like to shoot shotguns!

:D
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Sell them on ebay
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a Ubuntu Live CD from 2006 or 2007 which have saved me more than once :D
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    They work great if you like to shoot shotguns!

:D

Too dangerous, might loose an eye.

I was thinking of coasters for my living room.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Not a chance of that, didn't they teach not to look down the barrel of a shotgun?
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got a nice metal cd case that I keep all of my linux CDs in.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only physical discs I still have is SuSE 6.4, the first distro I bought. I do have a lot of old ISOs though.
  • Options
    RafaNoor91RafaNoor91 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have an old compputer currently running Windows Xp and i need help on how to format the whole compuuter and Instal linux. I need help to find out how to format my hard drive
  • Options
    Every install I have done of Linux gives you the option to format the hard drive.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'm wondering if RafaNoor is thinking it's necessary to format the drive in advance, or simply wants to ensure the drive is clean (or maybe attempting an install from a command line?).

With older Linux installs there were a few that required formatting outside the installer. With newer distros, I haven't seen that behavior in probably at least 10 years.

As to old Linux CDs. . . I've kept a few around that were good for certain tasks, or represented the best release I saw of a given distro that I couldn't give up. I think I still have a SuSE 10.3 disc around. SuSE has added some nice features since, but they keep doing things to slow their distro down, and issue flaky updates. I kept an Ubuntu 9.04 disc around for the longest time as it was one of the best Linux releases to that point. . . it ran fast and had a decent UI. I kept a Corel Linux disc (and one of its descendants, the name escapes me) for a long time as a rescue CD for failed drives/corrupted file systems/malware data recovery.

Every so often I have to pore over my CD case and throw old OS discs out, as I periodically end up adding new ones.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I think I have knoppix 3.1 cd somewhere... and a ME recovery disk LOL
    I'm guessing the ME recovery disk would be very valued... I mean it was the virus fly man used to infect the aliens computers @ Independence Day.

You could try to do like some kind of artsy project with it. Put a wooden frame, black background, some cds on it.
    meh
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GOt some original SUSE 4.something from the late 90s somewhere :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    GOt some original SUSE 4.something from the late 90s somewhere :)

When you are my age, the late 90's don't seem that long ago!

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Said "Hello World" '75 ;)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p