Options

What types of positions should I be looking for?

Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
I have about seven years of total IT experience doing a mixture of desktop support, help desk, and junior sys admin work. I can't script or use PowerShell. I'm currently doing service desk and bored out of my mind. You try to study during free time but there's nothing like hands on and using it on a day to day basis. Also, have a security clearance.

Certifications - VCP5, MCSA 2012(1 exam), CCNA, A+, Net+, Sec+, CASP, Win7.

Comments

• Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What interests you?

It sounds like you have a decent baseline upon which to work. Have you thought about pursuing security further? Maybe Linux+, eCPPT, OSCP? I'd work on looking into scripting/development.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    FYI....powershell is not difficult at all...you dont even need to memorize it. the help system is your best friend...

M$ has a Powershell tutorial, its pretty damn good if you ask me, plus also the book 'Learn Powershell in a month of lunches' helps as well....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    What interests you?

It sounds like you have a decent baseline upon which to work. Have you thought about pursuing security further? Maybe Linux+, eCPPT, OSCP? I'd work on looking into scripting/development.

I want to work with Servers and VMware. I don't have the drive to learn at the time because of the repetition of current position. I don't feel like a IT professional because the work is so simple. There's no room to growth either.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You have a well-rounded set of certs and should qualify for sys admin/sys engi positions. Scripting is not as hard as you think it is so I would start looking into that--it will make your life much, much easier as an admin/engi.
  • Options
    Many of the Sys Admin positions I typically end up losing to more experienced candidates. Should I try desktop support? Even though I'm tired of doing help desk and support roles. I could have done these positions with Sec+ or similar.