Options

will renewing my CCNA with ICND2 renew my CCNA:security?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well, it's that time again. My CCNA is expiring in October, and I want to start studying now.
I am planning on taking the ICND2.
Will that also renew my CCNA:security?

Also, can the ICND2 be done with GNS3 only?

Comments

• Options
    meatandpotatoesmeatandpotatoes Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Found this posted by a community mod on the Cisco LN:

"For CCNA Security and CCNA R&S, one of the recertification options is to "Pass any current Associate-level exam except for ICND1 exam." So you can take and pass either version of the ICND2 exam, either the 640-816 ICND2 (Last day to test: Sep 30, 2013) OR the new 200-101 ICND2, to recertify your valid CCNA Security and CCNA R&S.
    As long as the exam is Associate-level (except ICND1), it will qualify to recertify your valid CCNA Security and CCNA R&S certifications. An Associate level exam is any exam that is associated to an Associate level certification track such as CCNA R&S, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless, etc. etc. The exam does not have to be 640-XXX necessarily."
  • Options
    brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Found this posted by a community mod on the Cisco LN:

"For CCNA Security and CCNA R&S, one of the recertification options is to "Pass any current Associate-level exam except for ICND1 exam." So you can take and pass either version of the ICND2 exam, either the 640-816 ICND2 (Last day to test: Sep 30, 2013) OR the new 200-101 ICND2, to recertify your valid CCNA Security and CCNA R&S.
    As long as the exam is Associate-level (except ICND1), it will qualify to recertify your valid CCNA Security and CCNA R&S certifications. An Associate level exam is any exam that is associated to an Associate level certification track such as CCNA R&S, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless, etc. etc. The exam does not have to be 640-XXX necessarily."

Thank you, I thought that was the case, I just wasn't seeing anything definitive.
  • Options
    meatandpotatoesmeatandpotatoes Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No problem

Also, I completed my ICND2 using only GNS3 and PacketTracer. There was a chapter in Odom's book related to rommon, config registers, image recovery, etc. but reading it was enough for me.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A $20 router and/or switch (running IOS) from eBay would be sufficient to practice ^^^
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    weakness33weakness33 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is the link to Cisco's CCNA Security Recertification info:
    CCNA Security Recertification - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

Also, here is the one for the CCNA R&S Recert (they look pretty much the same... but check it out)
    CCNA Routing and Switching Recertification - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems