Options

Addicted to Contracting

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey All,

I've been presented with a Consulting opportunity in my area with Microsoft, working on the Operations, Implementation and Design of end-to-end networks & systems infrastructure. Now, I have a comfy full-time role where I recently moved into from being a contractor formerly. The full time, corporate world is... Although nice, slow icon_cry.gif. I miss the pressure to over perform, over certify and the late nights working with a team to fix ridiculous, complex, borderline frustrating issues.

I've come to love contracting, especially since it seems every renewal or new project comes with 1-4 more $/ hour and corresponding increases in responsibility and difficulty. Do more, do it well, expectations rise, word spreads. Also, in my area, staffing companies are now offering 401k's, healthcare, dental, vision and even paid time off with 9-12+ month contracts, too.

So,

Should I take the dive and use my youth & financial flexibility to an advantage? Is it a good idea to put on the rose coloured glasses and ride the wave?

Any words of advice from contractors in the network & systems space in the Seattle WA region?
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I did 4 contracts before my first FTE...
    First FTE boss sucked, they reneged on job responsibilities, merged, told us we had 1 year before we would be gone.
    Second FTE, boss sucked, his previous performance caused the company to outsource our entire department (200 jobs lost) and I was told that 3 weeks after I signed my Contract to Hire papers to become FTE after i hit the 6th month marker.

I prefer contracts as well.
  • Options
    massontechmassontech Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Young , single - CONTRACTING
    Mature, Married - PERMI