Options

Job and Cost Living in Doha, Qatar?

Does anybody know what cost of living in Doha, Qatar like? I did a little search on the Internet, an average one bedroom/ one bathroom apartment is about QR 10,000 equals to $2,470.00 per month. I am thinking apply for a job there, would is $130K/year worth to take it? Because of the cost of living is compatible to Manhattan, New York.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No idea mate, but would they even consider you for a job? They must have residency/work permit requirements, surely. And why Qatar, just curious?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Essendon wrote: »
    No idea mate, but would they even consider you for a job? They must have residency/work permit requirements, surely. And why Qatar, just curious?

Well, I am sure they know I am American because the recruiting company is in the United States. And with my resume background in the U.S Marine Corps; that would be self explanatory. I don't know, I have never worked in oversea. Therefore, I want to change the environment, and the compensation is really good comparing to the majority jobs in the United States. I did a little research about Qatar that one of the richest country in the world. Besides, there are over 2.2 million people living in Qatar, and only 20% are the citizen the other 80% are foreigners come from different countries to work there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Have you ever been there mate? You couldn't force me to live in Dubai let alone in Qatar unless I was desperate and wanted to move there for a year or two to make a shitton of money and go back home.
  • Options
    I have never been to the Middle East. But I saw somewhere that Qatar is ranked #19 out over 200 countries of safe living. Of course, I want to make good money to pay my house in cash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    linuxlover wrote: »
    Have you ever been there mate? You couldn't force me to live in Dubai let alone in Qatar unless I was desperate and wanted to move there for a year or two to make a shitton of money and go back home.

I wouldn't be so quick to lump all Middle East countries in with the typical stereotype. Qatar =/= Iraq. My wifes uncle is a senior partner at one of the largest international law firms and just spent over a year there. He's back in NYC but wouldn't hesitate to go back.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hope you don't mind the 100 degree heat all day every day.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a great opportunity. I wish you the best and sorry I couldn't help with your questions.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go in a heartbeat. I been there once and it is beautiful.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Ukimokia wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind the 100 degree heat all day every day.

That's only in the summer. In the winter, it can get pretty chilly.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to lump all Middle East countries in with the typical stereotype. Qatar =/= Iraq. My wifes uncle is a senior partner at one of the largest international law firms and just spent over a year there. He's back in NYC but wouldn't hesitate to go back.

yeah, a friend of mine is out there right now...she loves it...

you just have to get used to certain customs out there....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you like to drink ? If so you will need a permit to buy alcohol ($275) which requires a letter from your company with all your details, religion and all that ...

Buying Alcohol in Qatar | Qatar Visitor Guide: hotels, flights, tourist and resident info
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Usually its the people in the middle east who would give up fortunes to get an opportunity to work in the US.
  • Options
    Params7 wrote: »
    Usually its the people in the middle east who would give up fortunes to get an opportunity to work in the US.

If you got fortunes, then you wouldn't have to work and could just go to the US with your checkbook :p
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    There's more to consider in COL comparisons beyond rent. What about food, will you need a car (gas/car note/insurance), play money, what is the taxes situation, etc.
  • Options
    Qatar itself has no income tax .. just the question if you'd have to pay tax in the US ..
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Objectively, that comes out to 30k/year for housing alone. On the plus side, it should be US income tax free (up to the maximum which is around 90-95k, I think.) Pre-tax on the remainder, that leaves 100k. Now figure in utilities, food, vehicle, any other bills, house payment in the US (if you have one), fun stuff, travel, and any other categories, and then decide if it is worth it to you.

Subjectively, I have no desire whatsoever to EVER return to that part of the world, regardless of salary. And I've been to Doha, Dubai, Kuwait, Afghanistan (but not Iraq.) And While Doha and Dubai are infinitely better than Afghanistan, it's not for me. I don't care if you can snow ski indoors while it's 120 degrees outside.

edit - sorry most of this has already been covered while I was typing
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I loved Doha, except two things: The heat in August gets up to about 125 and the smell. Other than that, it was fun
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    would love to go out there for couple years and work
  • Options
    I don't drink, just once in awhile. But have not drinking alcohol for the last 2 years. My wife does not drink neither. The salary plus benefits include international travels, 2 bedroom apartment for my family, daily travels, full medical coverage, and food for me everyday. Electric is free in Qatar, so it sounds I don't have to pay for anything. As an American citizen, I am obligation to US Federal Tax; and there is no labor tax in Qatar.

I am Asian-American, so I don't have problem adapting any culture. However, maybe my wife because she is American with Irish descend; which is hardcore conservative.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a great opportunity.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    albinotigeralbinotiger Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I try not to comment on posts, but why not? If you are under the assumption you do not have to pay federal tax you are 100%........WRONG. Look up taxes for EXPATS or EXPATRIATES. you are excluded after the first $9#,### ONLY if you do 330 days OUTSIDE of the country (U.S.). I worked "somewhere" where they paid for the apartment and utilities I only paid for internet and groceries. This one company provided transportation or it was in walking distance. I wouldn't worry about the heat, assuming its a military base(office job) you mostly go outside for the DFAC/Chow Hall porta john (if Applicable) or whatever name you prefer. Qatar is...99%SAFE. I remember when I was "fighting terrorism" in a undisclosed location we got 4 day weekends to Qatar and you could drink "ON POST" at the BAR. And go rent a jet ski, mall or go to one of the many restaurants on and off base etc etc. I felt safer in Qatar than some American cities. Just FYI. P.S. Take advice from people who have ........been there from looking at the posts... the numbers are few! Get #FACTS. Stay off the internet :) "Hey, I know someone who left his middle east job under the 330 days and owed the IRS over 10k (cough cough)" dont take my word for it! that Qatar=/=Iraq is OBVIOUSLY from someone who has never been to either (no offense). P.S. Colemic, you didn't ski in the Dubai mall I take it?
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    that Qatar=/=Iraq is OBVIOUSLY from someone who has never been to either (no offense).

If you're referring to my post, I don't think you understand my post. =/= means not equal to. My post was saying that Qatar is not equal to Iraq in response to another post that seemed to be disparaging Qatar based on stereotypes of Middle East countries. And no, I've not been to either, but have many friends and family that have been in both for military and civilian reasons, and I've heard plenty of stories, seen video, and done my own research as I considered taking on contract positions there. More than enough to know not to confuse the living conditions of Qatar with Iraq/etc.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    You're referring to me. I didn't want to respond, but I will now. I didn't say Qatar is like Iraq, I just said I could never live there. I've been a lot in UAE and Qatar because I have friends who work there for years, so I base my opinion on my experience. I'm just saying people are different and moving to Middle East is not the same as moving to Europe, so think twice if that's something you're comfortable with.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I work and am typing this in Kuwait on a military contract at your exact pay range. I don't intend to respond to every post between this and OPs but COL is not that high. Yes, there are some ridiculously expensive apartments in Doha, as well as Kuwait, that doesn't mean there are not cheaper ones to be had. Your perspective company will most likely offer some type of housing, which will then likely come out of your check, which you can then turn around and claim on your taxes. The income is tax free up to $96,500 (roughly). You cannot be stateside more than 35 days of the year without forfeiting your tax free status. I can explain more of the tax free later on if you decide to take the position because there are some weird quirks to filing but you can write off essentially everything from phone, internet, car, groceries, to computer, clothes, gas and house cleaning. As far as the middle east goes, Qatar, Dubai and Bahrain seem to be the more desirable areas to live based on their more westernized cultures. It is definitely safe to live there at this point in time. As another posted, I too feel much safer walking around Kuwait then I do in most places back home.
    I don't want to make this too long, but don't be scared off by the cost of living because your company will probably group you with a roommate, provide a car and you can always eat at the DFAC to save money.
    What company are you applying with?

EDIT: Here's an online resource about the tax situation and a snippet from their FAQs...
    http://overseastaxservices.com/first-year-overseas/
    1. You do need to file a tax return. You may have heard that your salary is all or partly “tax free.” If you meet certain requirements, it is true that you may not owe any US income tax on your foreign earned income. However, you are still required to file a US tax return every year, even if you owe no taxes.
    2. For 2013, up to $97,600 of foreign earned income may be excluded from US income tax. (For 2014, the limit is $99,200.) (See Qualifying for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on the Overseas Tax Q&A page.) If you only lived overseas for part of the year, this amount is prorated to the proportion of the year in which you lived overseas.
    3. When you live overseas, you are allowed an automatic two-month extension to file your tax return, until June 15th. You do not need to make a special request for this.
    4. If you expect to qualify for the exclusion, your first year abroad you will often need to request a lengthier extension until you have passed either the Bona Fide Residence Test (living overseas a full calendar year and meeting some other requirements) or the Physical Presence Test (being overseas 330 days in a 12-month period). See the Overseas Tax Q&A page for more complete details. The extension request should be filed as early as possible, and definitely before June 15.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2