Options

VCA-DCV: possible to do in a week?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

is the VCA-DCV possible to do in one week or a weekend? - I already understand the concepts of VMware 5.1 and ESXi with my home servers being VMware 5.1-based. But leading up to the Stanley class I was thinking it would be nice to get this simple class done. I just don't want to invest too much time into it.

I'm currently nearing the end of my CCENT study and I just want to bang away the VCA cert since it seems relatively easy. I just got a (new-to-me) PowerEdge 2950 GEN III server with dual non-threaded Xeon's with 32 GB's of ram in it that I'm using with the 2600's to make three seperate domains on my other 2 R610's for my MCSA study at some point (so I can mimic 3 server domains for testing). Needless to say I just clean-slate installed ESXi 5.1 on my 3rd server at home and I think I under VMware pretty well. But it would be nice to talk the correct VMware lingo, and to me VCA would do that in preparation for the class.

I did some research and the eLearning class in 3 hours long, so in therory could I take the exam online at home on a weekend or is the test only offered during normal business hours? (week)

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I did the VCA-DCV in a day. No prior VMware experience, and only used the video series on their site. The material is really, really basic.
  • Options
    APJAMESAPJAMES Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought a book which was about 200 pages(lots of questions etc though so not 200 pages of info), read the 38 pg PDF and watched the 2 hr videos in just over a day, with no vmware experience. I wanted to do it as I'm starting the VCP so I wanted to get some basic prior knowledge,to save paying the exam fee I didn't bother doing the exam as I knew that I had the knowledge and its so basic I can't see how any employer would be impressed seeing it on a resume.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-basics-guide.pdf

edit: just looking through the PDF again I noticed that its not specifically for the VCA(i saw somewhere else that it was recommended to study it) , its relevant to the VCA though and a good resource, its probably the hardest part of what I studied, still easy though.
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback guys! - I think I'll be hitting this tonight.
  • Options
    J.TotJ.Tot Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    VCA yes, but it is an online class. It's practically open book.

I studied it for 3 hours and took the exam.
    VCP5 : [X] | VCP6 : [X] | MCSE : 70-412 [X] , 70-417 [ ] , 70-413 [ ] , 70-414 [ ] | VCAP : [ ]
  • Options
    massontechmassontech Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Quick Question guys, do you have to pay for VCA exam? or is it free? (Pardon my ignorance)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    massontech wrote: »
    Quick Question guys, do you have to pay for VCA exam? or is it free? (Pardon my ignorance)

Yes the exam costs I believe $150 for each associate exam. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    massontechmassontech Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes the exam costs I believe $150 for each associate exam. ;)

Quite cheap! Thanks -

I should start by 2moro if that's the case.. :):)
  • Options
    mguernseymguernsey Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    massontech wrote: »
    Quite cheap! Thanks -

I should start by 2moro if that's the case.. :):)

Check to see if anyone like Global Knowledge is offering 50% off coupons. I didn't pay a penny for the VCA-DCV, Cloud or Workforce Mobility exams. Would be a shame to actually pay full price on a cert that isn't really all that big of a deal.
  • Options
    i looked on google and can't find one. I'm all studied up for it.... waiting for pearson to authorize the exam before i pay for it.
  • Options
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome work mate! Back to the CCENT now or onwards and upwards to the VCP? Perhaps carry the momentum forward and bang out the VCP while some of the knowledge is still fresh.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Awesome work mate! Back to the CCENT now or onwards and upwards to the VCP? Perhaps carry the momentum forward and bang out the VCP while some of the knowledge is still fresh.

CCENT, this was just a mild distraction. I've been studying for CCENT for 2 months, really want to get subnetting and frame relay down to something I can do blindfolded. So I just wanted to blow this away to keep my confidence high. doing the VCA-WM by Sunday. This was also pre-work for the Stanly class....

Adding pain to misery bought the Project + book on Wednesday off Amazon Prime so that will probably be another quicky.

Doing Stanly in August so that will make me focus on VCP. I suppose I can do VCP/CCENT at the same time. I want to be at-least CCENT/VCP 5.1/Project + certified by December that's my goal.
    Yes the exam costs I believe $150 for each associate exam. icon_wink.gif

btw - exam cost me $80 tonight on the Pearson Vue portal. - Discounted for the night?
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass Deathmage!! icon_thumright.gif

It might have been on discount lol..
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks man!

do you guys know if there is a way on the VMware portal to print out a copy of the certificate? - CompTIA has a method not just the one they mail you. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Your digital certificate can be accessed here https://mylearn.vmware.com/myTrans.cfm?ui=www_edu or under myEducation > myTranscript.
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • Options
    jaywalker wrote: »
    Congrats!

Your digital certificate can be accessed here https://mylearn.vmware.com/myTrans.cfm?ui=www_edu or under myEducation > myTranscript.

Indeed - maybe it's delayed - it says I passed but no digital certy to download....
  • Options
    jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mine took about 48-72 hours to receive. You will get an email with instructions from VMware soon enough. That'll be the cue to check your transcripts and finally download your digital cert :D
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice one...congrats