Options

Studying for CISSP and hitting a wall

Trottet2099Trottet2099 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been currently studying for the CISSP exam for the last 4 months but I find myself hitting a wall and forgetting topics that I have studied. I have reviewed 3 books (Sybex, Eric Conrad, and the book that was used when I took the CISSP course). For practice exams I have used (FreePracticetest.org, Total Testers, Mc Graw Hill) and have now moved on the the Transcender tests. I am currently using the Transcender tests but I still keep averaging low scores 56 % in "Law Investigations and Ethics", "Security Architecture", Application & Systems Dev, and Security Operations" between 60% to 67% my scores for the other domains are averaging between 85% to 90%. I have been living & breathing CISSP everyday because my exam is scheduled for July 29th. Can anyone give me some much needed advice on studying a month before taking the exam?

Thanks,

Todd T.

Comments

• Options
    Plan2succeedPlan2succeed Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First thing I suggest would be to be confident. Do not worry about the scores in the practice tests. Most of them will not have the questions that you will get in the exam. Remember that this is a Manager's exam. It will not ask you for questions that rely on your memory alone (for example, it will not ask you which RFC has what, what are the key lengths kind of questions.. I hope you get the drift). It would have been better if you had read CBK and AIO. Following CBK would give you an idea what exactly will be covered and Shon Harris AIO will give you broader understanding. Not sure if you have the time for that now..

This is all based on the questions that I got. There are some who have passed studying just Eric Conrad so YMMV. Forget the scores in the tests. Do not worry if you get the questions that focus specifically on memory. If you are getting the questions that test your concepts right, then you are fine. Focus on the concepts.

If you need more help on this, Let me know. I will be able to elaborate.
  • Options
    Thank you for the positive feedback you have recharged my "Batteries". Over the weekend I reviewed the CBT Nuggets videos for my week areas and they helped a lot. Since I have a month before taking my exam I plan to take simulated exam each weekend and studying in between. Again thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

Todd T.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I am second to Plan2Succeed. Also, CBT Nuggets do not cover all the materials for the exam base on ISC2 CISSP Checklist. I would recommend you to go over the checklist instead re-reading everything. Searching for the topic in the checklist that you are not familiar of. If you want more confidence, then spend $125.00 to purchase GISP practice exam. If you pass this GISP practice exam, which means you're ready.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    I don't have any more money to purchase more exams. icon_cry.gif However I do have the latest Trancender CISSP practice exams and from what I have heard they are pretty good.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I will suggest to review it with a highlighter and aim to highlight in a way you can memorize the topics quickly by reading the highlighting point. Indicate prior before hand each section with a M, R, U for memorize, read only or understand will help you understands better where you would need to spend more on memorizing these section.
  • Options
    LionelTeo,

I like your approach and I will implement your methodology, to honest with you its the little things that I am missing on my exams that's driving me crazy. But with everyone's feedback I think that I will be OK. On a positive not I passed my SSCP back in November so that does help.