Options

Should I leave current job?

Macpro76Macpro76 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently work for an Managed service provider (MSP) in Eastern CT. It will be 1 year on August 1st, 2014. Currently doing tier 1 tech work and driving close to 300 miles a week (get $0.47/mile reimbursement). I get some server related issues now and then. make $20/hr ($41,600/year). Currently there is no talk about a raise or anything.

(See see my IT Certs/experience visit Tushar N. Dadarwala - IT Professional go to CV)

I have the follow salary/offer for a position in NJ with another MSP, small firm 10 people:

1. 1st year starting base salary $45,000 + commission, OT, other billable bonus After hours work @ $50\hr (No MCP pay increase for first year)

2. 2nd year ( one year from start) base salary $50,000.00 with No Microsoft MCPs – if MCP is achieved of companie's choice $3000 extra per MCP up to 3 MCPs.
OR
2nd Year ( one year from start) if MCSA server 2012 certification is achieved salary will be increased to $60,000 If earned on my own-time.

3. 3rd Year(2 years from start) if I have no MCPs, they will pay for MCSA boot camp training and salary will be $55,000.00 after MCSA is achieved if still no MCSA is achieved = base salary of $53,000

4. 4th year or (3 years from start) depending on how MCPs are earned and if company paid for boot camp training I could be making anywhere from $57,000 - $70,0000 base salary before commission etc.

Any one have any suggestions or thoughts?
thanx
[ ] PDI+, [ ] Cloud Essentials, /B] [B Project+
[*
] CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Healthcare IT, Green IT
/B]*[SIZE=2 MTA: Server, OS, Network, Security
/SIZE]*[SIZE=2 Apple: ACSP v10.8, ACMT v10.8, Mac Integration v10.7 & v10.8 [/SIZE]

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tdadarwala/

Comments

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why wouldnt you leave?

Without knowing anything about the new job, you always want to be doing the following:

1. Increasing your skillset. If you have gotten all you can from your current role, time to look for other roles where you can learn new things. Never stay stagnant
    2. Increasing your salary. Obviously.
    3. Increasing your education/certs.
    4. Increasing your work/life balance - shorter commute, less stress, etc.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd switch if that was my situation. Are you going to relocate to NJ?
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Based on the information provided, yes - no question.
  • Options
    Macpro76Macpro76 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I am considering it. most of my family (cousins) live in NJ. I am working with an agent find a home.
    [ ] PDI+, [ ] Cloud Essentials, /B] [B Project+
    [*
    ] CompTIA: A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Healthcare IT, Green IT
    /B]*[SIZE=2 MTA: Server, OS, Network, Security
    /SIZE]*[SIZE=2 Apple: ACSP v10.8, ACMT v10.8, Mac Integration v10.7 & v10.8 [/SIZE]

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tdadarwala/
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No brainer. Sounds like you aren't getting much out of your current role and there is no immediate advancement option within your current role. If the relocation is a smooth process i'd say go for it.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This seems like a no-brainer, I'd switch jobs and not look back.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )