Options

IT contract coming to an end and need suggestions

JubbsJubbs Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was lucky to get this contract job at a Managed services IT company. I learned a lot here (first IT job) and habe been told in other interviews that the company I work for is a great stepping stone in terms of the company itself and my responsibilities. However I have only worked here for about 6 months so I can't stroll into a job interview and get the job, I still lack the experience (# of years and such) and also I do not have a degree (I only have an A+).

The contract is ending this week and I am willing to spend part of my last few checks to get a certification. I want to stay in Helpdesk (for now) but I would like a desk side job rather than call center (which I have some leads on). The two certifications I am looking at is either Microsoft's Windows 7 certification (both tests) or the Network+

I feel like the Network+ is a great cert as it updates my A+ and I have been getting asked some networking questions at interviews. But on the other hand, with the recent change from XP machines to Windows 7, I thought having a cert for windows 7 might give me an upper hand. I have been studying both off and on these last few months and I feel if I commit more to either one I can be ready in a week or two. In the end I want both, but I am asking which one to get first, which will get me a better foot in the door for Helpdesk or Tier 1 IT jobs?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd pass up the Net+ unless you have some specific need for it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I really only want it because I heard getting a new Comptia cert will renew my A+ (which will expire soon). But I mean I am sure there are other Comptia certs that may be more beneficial
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    In your position, I think you would be far better off committing to one thing at a time. NET+ doesn't carry much weight. If you want to go into networking, the CCENT/CCNA is generally the best place to start, but I generally find the NET+ to be worthless.
  • Options
    I just went to go check my A+ details, I forgot I got in 2012 so I have until Aug 2015 to renew it. In that case I think I may lean towards getting the Windows cert, or perhaps even a cloud cert.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Focus on your job hunt. If you are required to get a cert for a position then go for it. If all the jobs your interested in require a cert then go for it.

Your current experience is what you will be selling in your next interview. Take some time write down what you have learned. How you have improved. The time spent reflecting on your experience should help up answer questions in your upcoming interviews. Keep in mind you got your first job without the experience. Unless you feel you did not learn anything then you should be better prepared for opportunities now then you were in the past.

A lot of members report that they would have skipped CompTia Certs. Once you have some experience it out weights the certification. There is no A+(expert and beyond cert) so it remains an entry level cert forever.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jubbs wrote: »
    I just went to go check my A+ details, I forgot I got in 2012 so I have until Aug 2015 to renew it. In that case I think I may lean towards getting the Windows cert, or perhaps even a cloud cert.

Security+ can also renew, and might have (does) will have a better return with focus on security now a days... but being it's Comptia, that isn't saying much.