Options

So cruel, 2nd attempt missed by 1 point...

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Lostpacket wrote: »
    Very surprised and sorry to hear about this. That has to be incredibly frustrating.

I used the 1st edition AIO v7 prep materials and found it adequate for the v8 exam but I know there is some 'luck of the draw' as to exactly what questions a person sees on the exam and there were definitely a few I had to just guess at.

One of my prep items was to print out the PCI DSS numbers in a vertical list and then try to fill in each one from memory. After 7 or 8 times I had them down pretty well. I did the same type of thing for the various command switches.

You've got your CISSP so you are certainly no stranger to tough exams. Do you feel the CEH had more off-the-wall questions than the CISSP?

It seems to be the cert everyone loves to hate. While I certainly don't feel passing the exam makes anyone a hacker in any real sense of the word, it does seem to be one of the widely known security certs and as such I think is worth having.

I would skip the iclass and just grab a Sybex book and the Boston practice exams. You were soooo close, you've invested too much time and energy to walk away.

You've got this.

I actually think the questions were pretty straightforward. I think the issue I have is the breadth of material it covers. I mean, looking at the syllabus it's just ridiculous the amount of topics covered. And then theres so much information to know within each topic listed in the syllabus. To top it all off, EC Council gives no print out of your weak areas so I have no way to know what areas to focus my efforts on again. Frustrating.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,041 Admin
    I did pass the CEH (ANSI) exam in May. I thought it looked like an older style CompTIA exam. I was very surprised at how uncomplicated the exam was compared to the official study material. I was also surprised that I only scored 87% too. I reviewed some of my answers at the end of the exam and really only had to completely guess on two questions. I did find one question that gave me the answer to another question (:p), so ECC's quality control department has a bit more to polish for their next major release.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJo,

I am sorry to hear that you did not pass. If you think that you were right with some questions (don't bring them up in this forum ;) ), you may want to contact EC- Council. In addition, you came so close. I think you can give this exam the beatdown it deserves!!!

What other resources did you use? I am sure if you work on the weaker domains you should be OK.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray, did you notice any major grammatical errors, or have those mostly been cleaned up?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    JDMurray, did you notice any major grammatical errors, or have those mostly been cleaned up?

I didn't notice any grammatical errors. I never took the v7 so I have no reference point but people seem to say it was pretty bad so maybe they put forth a lot of effort in that regard with the v8.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    v7 (and presumably earlier versions) was beyond awful.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    fayaxfayax Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jojo, this definitely got to hurt. I can relate to you. Back in the day when I was studying or my MCSE I had one test left and I decided on IIS. I took it and failed it by 2 questions or something like that. Took it again about 10 days later and failed it by 1 question. Then that same day went and bought the exchange book read it real fast and passed exchange without a problem. Something in the IIS didn't register in my head too well. So as they say "it" happens. Like all others here don't lose hope and come back to it when you are ready.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement fayax. In the meantime I knocked out the CHFIv8 and I circled back and have been studying for the CEHv8 again. I hope to test by the 15th-17th this month.
  • Options
    nathandrakenathandrake Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement fayax. In the meantime I knocked out the CHFIv8 and I circled back and have been studying for the CEHv8 again. I hope to test by the 15th-17th this month.

Good luck on the retake. I actually take the exam tomorrow as part of the WGU MSISA program. I was feeling pretty confident about tomorrow based off all my practice test scores, but now having some doubt.
  • Options
    Thanks. Good luck on your test. I started a new term on September 1st and now have to do some stuff over before getting my voucher so it looks like I'm aiming for 24th - 26th.