How do you not keep yourself from going crazy while trying to hear back from a job?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Went through three interview in less then a week with HR/Manager and an onsite tech. Said I would hear back for a job last week. I contacted the HR person last Thursday and she said the manager had to be pulled away for a project and that I would hear back early this week. I'd assume it would be Monday/Tuesday and she would let me know either way (though most dont right?)

My process went kind of backwards as I spoke with the IT manager first on the phone mainly because shes on the other side of the country and figured if i was going through the next phases I did a good job.

HR said she would tell me either way. Am i being impatient or should I figure I didnt get the job by now. I was up against one other person so right now i'm feeling that I didnt get it. **** job hunting. Also they asked for 2-3 references in which I gave them 4 and they all told me they gave me really good reviews. i am probably just being an impatient person and want out of help desk

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Whoa, calm down! Worrying about it isn't going to get you anywhere productive.

Keep applying elsewhere and working your current job. If they want you, they'll be in contact.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Exactly keep applying elsewhere. If it happens it will happens.

Good luck!
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ^This right here.
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    It sucks guys. there's always gonna be someone better then you - just really wanted this job as it had some really good benefits
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Personally, I bug the crap out of people, I am an expressive driver personality and at this point in my career, it's more about having a good fit. I don't have time for non-responsive companies. I ask for a time commitment and than if that commitment isn't met it is a pass for me.

Ask them when exactly you will have a response. Call them on that date. If they don't have a response, tell them you have to pass due to other opportunities. If they want you an answer will magically appear.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I pass the time of waiting by applying at other places. Nothing is a sure thing until you get the final word.

On the flip side of things, it is funny to accept a job and then get other leads and interview requests from the applications you filed afterwards :)
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    On the flip side of things, it is funny to accept a job and then get other leads and interview requests from the applications you filed afterwards :)

This happened to a friend of mine. He was at his first day of a new job, and got a call about the 2nd interview at a company he really wanted to work for that just took awhile to get back to him. He went to the 2nd interview, got the job and ended up giving his 2 notice only a few days into the original job. He was scared of burning bridges but he's been at that 2nd company now for years and really happy so it hasn't been a problem.
  • RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It can go either way...

I recently had two friends going on interviews...

Friend A -- went to a first and second interview, was told he'd hear back by the end of the week. 2.5 weeks later, he had to bug his recruiter to find out they offered the job to someone else.

Friend B -- went to a first and a second interview, was told he'd hear back by the end of the week... 3 weeks later, nothing. Finally, he received a call and an offer.

Really no way of telling, you just need to wait it out.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Personally,

Companies who don't communicate are wasting your time. I'm sure if you were holding their contract for a big proposal they would be calling you everyday so they could log a sale for the Month.

It's the same with people, you are a brand, they are buying you. If they don't have the courtesy to maintain a timeline and commitments, that will indicate how things will be at work. I understand having internal delays, that is reasonable. Just update the candidate, say

"We are depending on our comptroller to determine if we can place you at a salary rate that is outside the position's range. We are having to do some internal paperwork, even if we have no news we will follow up with you by Friday."

If they don't treat you with respect and value your time coming in the door, than they typically won't once you are locked inside....
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Updating the candidate wouldn't take long at all and goes a long way towards easing the minds of the candidates. I had an interview the other day, yesterday they emailed me saying they'd like to bring me in for a 2nd, but HR takes awhile, so just hold tight and they wanted to let me know. I really appreciated that, otherwise I would have thought maybe it didn't go well, etc, but, they took 30 seconds and sent me an update and now I know what is going on.