Options

Attack of the Job recruiters

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
Today (so far) I've had 10 people reach out to me through email/phone calls. Since I didn't answer the phone half the time and not all of them emailed me I can only confirm that 7 of them were from 7 different staffing companies all talking about the same exact position (which I don't even think I qualify for). One recruiter said the pay was 35/hour and another said the pay was 20/hour. Some say 6 month contract, some say 7 month, and some say 12 month. It also sounds like the position needs to be filled today.

...Almost as if Verizon said $1,000,000 to the recruiter who finds me a new employee before midnight tonight!
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I never had it that bad, but I did receive multiple calls and emails for this one Firewall Engineer position in Jacksonville, Florida. I lost count when it went over 20 contacts in 2 weeks.

The thing is, this was all from ONE recruiting company! I think there was maybe 5 people there and they each contacted me multiple times. I asked to be removed from their database and they said they don't have one, they "search the internet" every time they need to fill a job so even if one person recognized my name and decided not to call me that wouldn't stop the other recruiters from calling me themselves.

Since they stopped calling me I have to assume they finally filled that position.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I literally got 13 calls about the same position today that opened up in Schaumburg.. even recruiters from Texas, FL, called me about it... I had to turn off my google voice after 12:00pm... and yes they were very serious when it came to the random wage for the place... ranging from 30.00 to 47.00 in their solicitations with me.

Vultarks!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    This is exactly why I don't have my phone number on any public version of my resume...if they want to communicate, email me.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you guys complaining or bragging? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Seriously, all I'm getting are those Aflac a-holes who want me to sell insurance.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Seriously, all I'm getting are those Aflac a-holes who want me to sell insurance.
    I got this all the time. I told them that I am not interested in the sale. They just constantly contact me and refer me to the local regional manager.

Yes, I have the same experience that one position range from 5 to 15 recruiters email me. I usually, reply back simple.

"Hi Recruiter,

Thanks for the opportunity notification. I am interested, but what is the compensation for the position? Is this contract position, contract to hire, or direct hire? Who is the client? The reason I am asking who is the client is because I do not want multiple recruiters represent me on the same position that would be conflict of interests."

Usually, I tell me the reason I ask who is the client otherwise they won't disclose until they submit your profit. I think they afraid that you apply directly with the client. So, in that range 5 to 15 recruiters...I choose the one with highest rate to represent me.

But, yes that is the norm because they open their business to make money. So, it is understandable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    Are you guys complaining or bragging? icon_lol.gif

Why can't it be both? icon_cool.gif
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »

I've only had one or two of those (all by email), but I get a lot of "you look like the perfect type of person to start a franchise!"

They never say what kind of franchise, but at least these have all been via email.
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I normally get 5-10 emails/phone calls a day. Lately Ive been putting them into spam, as most of the time they don't bother to fully read my resume.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've just been applying directly to positions, I haven't put my resume up on monster/dice/indeed yet. Every time I think about doing it I see a thread like this talking about 10 calls per day for the same positions.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I've just been applying directly to positions, I haven't put my resume up on monster/dice/indeed yet. Every time I think about doing it I see a thread like this talking about 10 calls per day for the same positions.

If you are serious about getting/changing positions, post it! Do it Sunday so it is as new as possible come Monday morning and you will get calls. It may take a week or two depending on your skill-set, location, etc, but they will happen.

Truth be told, I don't think it is really a bad thing; it is a minor annoyance at most, but if you want to find a job make it easier by letting them find you. The number of positions I get called for that I had not seen on the major job boards is staggering; as a matter of fact it makes me think about the old saying that 50% of jobs are not posted (or 70%, or whatever number is pulled out of the air)...

You may also get a call for a position you saw but decided you weren't qualified for. Well, maybe you aren't, but maybe the recruiter knows something about the position you don't and you ARE qualified.

FWIW, most of my calls seem to come from Dice; if you are only going to put it online in one place, do it there.
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks, I'll put it up on Sunday, I should use a google voice phone number, my work is VERY anti phone calls during working hours.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Speaking of attack of the job recruiters, check out this screenshot from last night. These are the types of recruiters/firms I run away from...

zqkZEVy.png
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^^^
    lol, JoJo i hear you on that. i get that all the time. Hell, as soon as i got my new job, i got even more calls/emails now...I'm like, have ya'll seen that i haven't even been @ my new role for a month? I just ignore them....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There's always the old adage "you never miss what you've got till it's gone". I won't deny I find myself in a similar situation at times and yes it's annoying. The alternative is that no one who see's your resume/cv posted online thinks your worthy of consideration and you get no calls.

Which I have to tell you is not a place you want to be.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.