Options

Got my WGU transcript evaluation back!!

devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just got my transcript evaluation back from WGU. Looks like only 33 CU's to get my Bachelor's, which I should be able to easily finish in two terms, exactly how I wanted. Most of the remaining classes are management related, and I'm actually a little bit disappointed that the Project Management class I took for my Associate's didn't transfer over. However, I think I should be able to breeze through the Project+, which would knock out 6 CU's on its own. Other than those, I need OS I and II, Database I, Web Technologies, and the CCNA:Sec class.

Surprisingly, the "Beginning Guitar" class I took at IU back in 2003 counted for a Lit, Arts, and Humanities requirement...I had to laugh when I saw that. I basically wasted 2.5 years at IU drinking and partying before I joined the Army and got serious about my future, so the fact that anything from that time period counted for something was funny.

I need to check back with my counselor, because for some reason my CompTIA Security+ isn't showing up as credit for CTV1. I'm hoping my remaining 4 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill get me through one term, and then work may reimburse me for the other term. I talk to my counselor tomorrow.

Anybody have any experience with the Post 9/11 GI Bill at WGU?

Comments

• Options
    certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I say let the remaining 33 CUs stay. WGU will only let you finish your degree with 30 CUs and more remaining. So if you only got 29 CUs or less, WGU will not accept you in a BS program. You can complete all 33CUs in one term if you are really serious and have the time on your hands.
  • Options
    Sorry, I should've specified...it's 37 CU's if you add back in the Security+ class, 33 if I receive credit for it.

I'm pretty sure I can breeze through the Project+ and the Linux+, and that would eliminate 12 CU's up front. I've spent some time in the past studying for the Linux+, but I just didn't think it was worth spending ~$340. It might be possible to do it all in one term, but I'm trying to set reasonable goals. If I can exceed those goals, all the better.

I tend to have a short attention span, so spending all that time cramming on business-related topics sounds like a slow death to me. I might have to take it slow just so I can stick with it.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is your Security+ within the last 5 years? If not it won't count, otherwise like you said they might have just missed it. I felt the Linux+ took me awhile, but I had zero linux experience so it was all new. If you have mostly business classes you should be able to knock that out pretty quickly.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow man, that's great! You should be done with this in no time at all.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Is your Security+ within the last 5 years?

Yep, got it in 2013. I'm guessing they missed it somehow. I also have 2 CompTIA IDs, so that might have had something to do with it. I've submitted like 3 different tickets to have those CompTIA IDs merged, but I never get a response.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome!! You should be able to finish in no time icon_thumright.gif

I just started at WGU in February for my BS in IT-Security. I just finished up my first term and I'm really enjoying WGU as my certs and associate's degree really accelerated my progress. I should be able to complete it in 3 terms I'm hoping as I have 40 CU's left!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    I spoke to my enrollment counselor on the phone last night after also speaking to WGU's VA rep (who was a condescending jerk). I have 4 months left of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and apparently that will cover one 6-month term. The way the VA rep made it sound, if I only had 1 month of benefits remaining, it would still cover me for 6 months because "the VA doesn't just cut you off mid-term".

Apparently the transcript people DID miss my Sec+ cert somehow, so that's getting fixed. Now it's just a bunch of little forms I have to fill out, fax over my DD214, and that's about it. I should be starting 8/01 if all goes well.

My counselor thinks I should finish in 3 terms, but I'm shooting for 2. I know I can knock Linux+ and Project+ out pretty fast, and from what I've heard, I don't think the business classes are too difficult either.
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I spoke to my enrollment counselor on the phone last night after also speaking to WGU's VA rep (who was a condescending jerk). I have 4 months left of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and apparently that will cover one 6-month term. The way the VA rep made it sound, if I only had 1 month of benefits remaining, it would still cover me for 6 months because "the VA doesn't just cut you off mid-term".

Apparently the transcript people DID miss my Sec+ cert somehow, so that's getting fixed. Now it's just a bunch of little forms I have to fill out, fax over my DD214, and that's about it. I should be starting 8/01 if all goes well.

My counselor thinks I should finish in 3 terms, but I'm shooting for 2. I know I can knock Linux+ and Project+ out pretty fast, and from what I've heard, I don't think the business classes are too difficult either.

Did you get any classes waived for the 685? I have a ton of MS certs but don't really know how those transfer in. With my 12+ years of IT, I am fairly certain I can knock out my A+ in a week ect ect, but I am curious if my two Windows 7 MCITPs (administration and desktop support) will count for anything.

I am looking towards the standard BS in IT

-scott
  • Options
    Sorry, I hadn't read this thread in a while. The 70-685 didn't waive any classes for me, but if I had passed the 70-680, it would have.

Just skimming through my transcript evaluation and comparing the classes vs. your credentials, it looks like you would have about 18 CU's waived by those Microsoft certifications you have. It depends on the program you choose, though.