Options

WGU: IT Network Admin or IT security? 9 certs vs 13

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm thinking of enrolling in WGU. With that said, I've generally always been more interested in the networking side of IT. Looking at the degree plans, the networking concentration from WGU includes 9 certs, strangely enough, CCNA is not one of them which was not the case a couple years ago as I specifically remember it being a required cert of that degree plan. I'm guessing they did away with sponsoring it?

The Security track includes 13 certs, one of which is the CCNA Security. This track seems to be more credible due to these 2 perks.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recommend creating a spreadsheet and comparing the courses from both degree plans side by side, and sort of weigh which one seems more interesting to you. Also, you should consider if one degree plan would take longer to complete than the other. If you think you can shave off a semester by going with a particular degree plan, you are literally saving $3000. Certs can always be obtained on you own time.

Just some food for thought.

Personally, I went with the ND&M concentration because I felt it would hold my interest the most and I didn't want to do the programming stuff that was included in the regular IT concentration.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I too went with the ND&M major because it covers more than just the technical side of things but also the Management emphasis, and like srabiee said you can obtain certs on your own without including them in your degree.
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is the track I want to take as well and seems to suit my current career path.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    In the end your degree will just say Bachelors of Science in Information Technology, regardless of which concentration (minor) you choose. If you want/need the extra certs go for the ND&M track. If you want to finish a little faster go for the NA track. If I had to do it again I would have gone for the fastest path to completion.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    down77 wrote: »
    In the end your degree will just say Bachelors of Science in Information Technology, regardless of which concentration (minor) you choose. If you want/need the extra certs go for the ND&M track. If you want to finish a little faster go for the NA track. If I had to do it again I would have gone for the fastest path to completion.

That's actually not true any more. I have a diploma from WGU just a few months ago that says Information Technology : Security.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    That's actually not true any more. I have a diploma from WGU just a few months ago that says Information Technology : Security.

It's good to know they fixed that. All I got was a generic BS in IT degree.... then again I finished almost over 6 years ago. Man how time flies!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11