Options

MCSA Windows 7: Is it worth it?

TheOxTheOx Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been searching for a help desk position for a year and only managed to have 2 failed interviews. That's made me decide to attain getting another IT certification. I only have my A+ at the moment and I'm currently pursuing a generic associate in science degree.

I don't really have any professional IT experience. Would having a MCSA help my prospects any?

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It would certainly help, but in your situation experience is still going to be the #1 factor in landing a position. The degree will also help when you finish it. Just keep applying for positions and going to interviews, once you finally land a position and get some experience you will be in good shape.

If you pass the 70-680 and the 70-686, you will earn both the MCSA: Windows 7 cert and the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator cert. The MCITP: EDA will allow many shortcut paths to server certifications.

Keep in mind those exams a quite difficult and require knowledge in both Windows 7 Enterprise as well as Server 2008 R2.

Once you finish your Associate degree, you should really consider transferring those credits to WGU and pursue a Bachelor of Science in IT. A BS degree will help tremendously in landing higher paying positions, especially when lacking serious experience.

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I actually was enrolled at WGU. In the Two interviews that I had, the interviewers seemed to be less than impressed with WGU. I don't think employers in my area are too fond of online degrees. Everyone wants graduates from the big local state university. Unfortunately my circumstances won't allow me to quit my job and go to school during the day.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WGU is regionally accredited, which is the highest accreditation obtainable. If anyone has a problem with a particular regionally-accredited university, they are an idiot. Politely tell them to bite your ass. With the rise in popularity of distance-learning, online degrees, and the Internet, these people stuck in the stone age are going to have to face reality that times change. Furthermore, not everyone can afford to go to expensive brick-and-mortar universities, especially those of the for-profit variety.

Let me put it this way. We have plenty of people on these forums who have BS, MS, and MBA degrees from WGU who make 6-digit figures. icon_wink.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    I guess I should add that I'm kind of afraid of WGU myself. For the short time that I was enrolled I kept thinking that after graduating it would bite me in the ass later.

Edit: What I mean is that I'm afraid that I'll have to defend my degree for my entire career.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    WGU is regionally accredited, which is the highest accreditation obtainable. If anyone has a problem with a particular regionally-accredited university, they are an idiot. Politely tell them to bite your ass. With the rise in popularity of distance-learning, online degrees, and the Internet, these people stuck in the stone age are going to have to face reality that times change. Furthermore, not everyone can afford to go to expensive brick-and-mortar universities, especially those of the for-profit variety.

Let me put it this way. We have plenty of people on these forums who have BS, MS, and MBA degrees from WGU who make 6-digit figures. icon_wink.gif

I agree!! Its the 21st century HR! Also I wanted to say that the MCSA is a great way to get into IT!
  • Options
    kevinsmith5kevinsmith5 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where in SC are you? Northrop Grumman has positions at Paris Island that only require an A+ and any MTA (including OS Essentials).
    As for online degrees....anyone who doesn't respect them when they come from accredited schools, especially in the IT field, is kinda nuts. I mean wouldn't anyone tech savvy enough to do it that way and avoid driving, etc?
  • Options
    Tom239Tom239 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Theox icon_cheers.gif

You need to apply for a First line support position (Logging and answering phones lol),

To begin with just to get experience,

In my opinion the exam will obviously help, but rather than applying for jobs which are both first and Second line with no experience, you need experience first.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    BeyVillageBeyVillage Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The0x, the MCSA certification is definitely worth it. I only have 1 Microsoft cert, MCTS-7 (70-680), and I'm working on 70-685 to give me the MCSA. MCSA/ MCITP will definitely get more hits than MCTS.

user-offline.png