WGU 18 CUs per term

mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm starting WGU in August. Due to my post 9/11 GI bill I have to take 18 CUs to be "full-time". This seems like a very large work load. Am I correct or worrying for nothing? I don't mind being busy with school and I learn quickly but I don't want to burn out early either.

Thanks.

Comments

• MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    18 is doable. Im set to knock out 21+ and I really take the time to learn the material. Be sure to ask your mentor about course that are skippable. That will save you a ton of time within itself.
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is a bit high, but very doable. I average about 15 to 20 depending on the term, and to be honest it really doesn't take to much effort to complete. I work 40 hours a week and go out with friends alot too. My point being, the amount of time you are willing to spend on classes is up to you, but I would let 18 units scare you.
  • BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    18 is very doable. I just finished up 31 CUs in 5 months and I work 40 hours a week. I still have a full month left on this term. I've stayed busy, but the constant accomplishments are very rewarding. The cool thing is being able to hammer down if you already know something. I spent only a couple days on CIW web foundations and a week on A+. Apply yourself, stick to a schedule, and you'll do fine.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work full time and did 41 CU's my first term. Very doable.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Good thread! I was wondering the same thing myself.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    I work full time and did 41 CU's my first term.

That's very nice to hear. I'm looking at 33 CU's to finish my B.S., and I was hoping to get it done in two terms. If it's possible for me to get it done in one term, that would be awesome. Obviously I would need to buckle down and work hard, but as a single guy with no kids and a job that isn't very demanding outside my normal 40 hours, I think it's manageable.
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I will have 12 CUs done in 4 months. 18 would be pushing it for me personally, but everyone is different. I'm a really slow learner.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started with 14 so that I could get 3/4 time. I've got 3 months left with 2 classes to go. From what I remember, if you enroll in say 14 cu for 3/4 time and finish the term with 18+ cu you will be reimbursed the difference between 3/4 and full time. I'd contact the WGU VA reps to make sure but I'm pretty certain thats true.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have trouble completing my required 12+ units and I work 50+ hour weeks. I struggle to find time some weeks to get anything productive done until the weekend. Im not trying to rush through the material as every bit has helped me since i started.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    18 is doable I managed to get 20 done in 2 months. Trick is to take the preassessment first and study the topics that you don't know. Take the preassessment a 2nd time if you score over 75% schedule the final.