Looking to get started.

spacechild77spacechild77 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I have just recently earned my Associates Degree in CS and am trying to figure out where to go from here. I enjoy repairing computers most, but realize there is little to no money in that section. I received my MCP for Windows 2000 (expired, or outdated now) I am considering network admin, but am unsure. I am 37 and tired of the job I am in. Please help me.

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    1st and foremost, Welcome to Techexams! icon_cheers.gif

You should look into 1st find what you want to do? By this I mean do you rmemeber if you liked networking or systems or end-user support. By determining what aspect of IT you want to do you can better choice the direction that is best for you.

To start I might suggest you go the CompTIA route; ie: A+, Network +, Security +. Some people on here might suggest otherwise but you need to start somewhere. These three certification will open doors to jobs and help you find your calling in the process!

Hope this helps!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums!

If you recently earned your associates try to use that to switch into anything IT related. From there you need to figure out what interests you. Then start focusing your study on that. Obviously the people here value certifications but many people will tell you they are a waste of time.

Keep in mind the source when taking advice on this.
    People looking to learn and make opportunities for themselves usually find a way to make that happen.
    People who are content with where they are usually don't want to do much else.

Don't let anyone else choose your future but look for people to help you get where you want to go.

Good Luck!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome!

How about finishing off your associate CS with a bachelors in CS? I've seen a lot of jobs over the years require of recommend having a CS degree.

Do you have any prior experience? That would help shape your game plan IMO.
  • spacechild77spacechild77 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I am currently studying for the A+ cert (exam cram and professor Messer). I was considering Net+ then starting on MS certs.
  • spacechild77spacechild77 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @N2IT I plan on pursuing my bachelors through WGU, just taking a few months off school to do a little remodeling on the house. I was thinking about getting a few certs before enrolling though.