Options

MCTS 70-680 Pass

gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just passed the 70-680!

The test seemed fair and a little easier than I expected. However, labbing is a must to pass this test because the questions require you to know where to find certain configurations which could be 3-4 steps deep.

Materials:
-I used Don Poulton's 70-680 book, Gibson's Command Guide, MOAC Workbook and Online Labs (via WGU).
-I used Transcender Practice Exams as well as the practice exams from Poulton's book (The practice tests seemed harder than the actual test which may be a good thing)
-I dual-booted my own computer to practice clean installing Windows 7.

Very happy because I was stressing over this one :)

Have to take a break now because I don't have enough time left in my term to complete another class. Oh well, I'll live.

Big thanks to the TE Community, you guys left some really good links in the sticky that I perused while studying! :)
Goals for 2015: CCNP

Comments

• Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Congratulations!
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gadav478 wrote: »
    Just passed the 70-680!

The test seemed fair and a little easier than I expected. However, labbing is a must to pass this test because the questions require you to know where to find certain configurations which could be 3-4 steps deep.

Materials:
    -I used Don Poulton's 70-680 book, Gibson's Command Guide, MOAC Workbook and Online Labs (via WGU).
    -I used Transcender Practice Exams as well as the practice exams from Poulton's book (The practice tests seemed harder than the actual test which may be a good thing)
    -I dual-booted my own computer to practice clean installing Windows 7.

Very happy because I was stressing over this one :)

Have to take a break now because I don't have enough time left in my term to complete another class. Oh well, I'll live.

Big thanks to the TE Community, you guys left some really good links in the sticky that I perused while studying! :)

Congrats! What class did the 680 replace? I am looking into WGU at this stage and I am trying to (unsuccessfully) figure out how my certifications fit into the class plans haha

-scott
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grats! Are you going for the 70-685 next, or are you planning to do the 70-686 instead? The 686 is the more difficult exam but opens up many more doors for shortcut pathways to the server certs.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Grats! Are you going for the 70-685 next, or are you planning to do the 70-686 instead? The 686 is the more difficult exam but opens up many more doors for shortcut pathways to the server certs.

I agree! I took both, so I have both MCITPs but I was SHOCKED to see how the 686 pathways into the MCSA 2012

-scott
  • Options
    Congrats! What class did the 680 replace? I am looking into WGU at this stage and I am trying to (unsuccessfully) figure out how my certifications fit into the class plans haha

70-680 = 73-680 = CSV1 (for now). I heard they were changing some things in the NA curriculum so we will see :) There is a PDF my enrollment counselor gave me that tells you which classes are knocked off by which cert. If you need it, PM me icon_thumright.gif
    srabiee wrote: »

I really want to go that route. But I don't know if WGU would let me test out of the three server courses I have left by going that route and picking up the MSCA Server 2012. Wish I would have knocked out my MCSA BEFORE enrolling haha... my mentor told me she will know what my options are in August, just in time for the start of my 2nd term.
  • Options
    Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    Congrats! Plan on taking it in a few months myself. How long did you study?
  • Options
    Congrats! Plan on taking it in a few months myself. How long did you study?

About 6 weeks.