Options

iSCSI san question

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hi,

What are you guys/gals doing for your SAN storage option? I am expanding my lab to have a 2nd ESXi host, so I would like to bring up a SAN storage into the mix. Last night I set up OpenFiler just as a test in VMWorkstation, I've set up the partition/LUN .

In my physical ESXi 4.x host, I then tried to add this san storage but it didn't work. The ESXi host and the OpenFiler are both on the same subnet, ACL in OpenFiler is configured as well.

Now, I wonder if it's an issue if there is a L2 switch in between the SAN and ESXi host, could that be an issue for iScsi?
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What error do you get? Can you connect via IP? If you can then DNS is the problem, put the IP address of your ESXi hosts in the /etc/hosts file of the OpenFiler. Check this link for instructions.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Openfiler is running on 192.168.1.9, I can manage it from my workstation or from VM guest running on the ESXi host.

In ESXi host I have iSCSI software adapter, and it's showing status of Enabled, with it's 1 iqn name.

I added IP of my OpenFiler under Dynamic Discovery tab, and it takes it but no SAN storage lun is showing when I click on the iSCSI device in the Storage Adapters area in ESXi- Configuration tab.
    Connected targers = 0 Devices = 0 Paths = 0

Under the Configuration tab , under Storage , I can click on Add Storage , then I select Disk/LUN, but it doesn't let me go past that screen.

I tried adding the iqn Target Name, and it does take that - but a re-scan of host storage system does not bring up the LUN from the iSCSI san as available storage?

If I try to add the same SAN ip and iSCSI Target Name of "iscsi1" under "Add Static Target Server" I get the following error

Call "HostStorageSystem.AddInternetScsiStaticTargets" for object "storageSystem" on ESX "192.168.1.6" failed.
    Operation failed, diagnostics report: iScsiLibException: status(c0000000): Invalid parameter; Message= IMA_AddStaticDiscoveryTarge
  • Options
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ESXi 4 .. wow :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    ESXi 4 .. wow :D

I have 3.x on cd somewhere ;) I've been playing around with visualization since MS Server 2005 but never really got into the ESX stuff. Lately I've been getting more and more into it! I figured why not start with older version and then slowly get to newer ver and see what the differences are etc.

This is just a cheap lab / test host I made out of some spare parts, once my new hardware arrives I'll have two newer hosts running 5.x to play with the cool vMotion stuff :)