Options

For those who have taken the WGU BS in IT path (and anyone else ha)

SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys

So my career path has stalled which made me decide to take on WGU. I haven't applied yet, but I am trying to get my ducks in a row to transfer in as much as I can for the bachelors in IT (the general one I suppose) -- My path is going to be towards mgmt at my current job but I do need that degree. Since I am mid-career, and not *completely* broke I intend to pay out of pocket, so I do need some guidance from you fine people to streamline myself into the path.

I started with StraighterLine so I could knock out all the geneds that I can see will transfer. I started that this month, going pretty fast and easy obviously.

What I am trying to figure out is if there is anything else I can fast track to get as many CUs as possible to start. The people who work at the school are a little indifferent to that question, and I understand why. I also have read many threads on here and understand that no student is the same. I have never attended college, but 15 years into the real world and many starts and stops on business ideas/career plans I am pretty well set to tackle this.

Here is what I have going for me:

I am pretty sure I can knock out the Straighterline gen-eds in 3 months. I know 12 classes in 3 months is a lot, but I have no kids, and I work a third shift for a company that encourages study during the down time, so I can usually commit at least 2-3 hours a night at work and probably 3+ hours a day at home.

Through normal working realm, I currently have: MCSA Windows 7 (two variations, the MCITP 686/680 and the 685/680), I have already gotten all 6 MTA's they show as 'obtaining' with that degree, MS 74-409, MS 74-343, obviously the MCTS 680, and then the 681.

Work will pay for certs. Should I go for those 'easy' one? The CIWs are will some of those be waived since my career is clearly past entry level? The CompTIAs I figured I would just do once I start, because those stupid voucher cost so much, although I have already studied for the A+ so that should be able to be knocked out quickly.

I am considering getting my CompTIA HealthCare IT cert, 1, because I work in Healthcare IT but two, because that would make my eligible for WGU's CompTIA scholarship.

Any other suggestions on certs, classes, things I can prior to starting to fast track?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jobes23jobes23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally think if work is going to pay for some Certs, I would go for all the ones that you think you could possibly get before you apply for WGU. As for doing Straighter, I will let someone who has taken those courses give their opinion. Also if you need a referral to apply for WGU. Just shoot me a PM.
    Course Taking: Start 9/1
    Courses Done: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, C172, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Left: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, TJC1, TJP1, C175, C170, TYP1, TYC1, CJC1, C191, C178, C176, CLC1, C179, EDV1, BNC1, C195, UBC1, C278, EAV1, EBV1
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    From my discussions with my enrollment counselor they don't take new certs after you are accepted. The only exception to this is if you are required to have it for employment purposes.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were you, I'd take as many classes or certs as I can before enrolling. If work will pay for the certs, then take them all before you enroll. Also, take all the non-IT classes through StraighterLine before enrolling. If you do this, all you'll have left to take at WGU would be the Technical Writing and Capstone, which are usually the last classes people take at the school.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CLEP exams are a great way to knock out some gen ed courses.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    CLEP exams are a great way to knock out some gen ed courses.

Is there a simple way to figure out which CLEPs will transfer? These are even more affordable than straighterline, so I wouldn't mind knocking some of these out. I only need to get 3 certs to basically max out the technical transfers, since my MCITPS and my soon MCSA Server 2012 basically destroy the technical requirements. haha

thanks for all the info guys!

-scott
  • Options
    I found it on the WGU website.. ha.. Maybe I should stop being lazy :)

-scott
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Definitely try to get a Comptia if you are paying out of pocket... thats's an investment that will pay 1k in scholarship funds for the cost of one test.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    Definitely try to get a Comptia if you are paying out of pocket... thats's an investment that will pay 1k in scholarship funds for the cost of one test.

This is huge. Very big benefit if you can get it.

PM me if you want a more cynical side to WGU.
  • Options

Yeah I saw that; actually, I can get the Comptia Healthcare IT through work and they will pay for it, it's easy and only 100 bucks.. win!
  • Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□

Can you elaborate on this? I'm hopefully about to start up in the coming weeks and I have a few CompTIA certs that should transfer in...
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there a simple way to figure out which CLEPs will transfer?

-scott

Always use google my friend. Alternative Sources for Transferable Courses

-Edit oops didn't scroll all the way down
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    WGU offers a Comptia scholarship that $500 a term/semester up to $2000. It is a bit of work to apply for but they seem liberal in awarding them.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Always use google my friend. Alternative Sources for Transferable Courses

-Edit oops didn't scroll all the way down

It's all good, I called myself out on my laziness this time.... haha

-scott