Options

How far should I go with IPv6?

CKrollCKroll Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm gearing up to take my ICND2 exam in roughly a month. I'm currently in the IPv6 portion of my study prep, and I am unsure on exactly what I need to know. I am thorough in my studying to a fault, and all of the topics I'm trying to cram in my head are making my head spin. Basically I don't wanna overkill this topic...which is also giving me some trouble. Can someone layout the IPv6 topics I should stick to learning for this exam?

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have a book that you're studying from? The Odom official cert guide (Cisco Press) covers all the IPv6 topics you'll need to know for the exam... but if you don't have that resource, I would recommend being familiar with IPv6 address classes, including the multiclass prefixes; how devices create IPv6 addresses using their MAC address; how to subnet IPv6; and how route algorithm implementation varies between IPv6 and IPv4, specifically the differences between enabling OSPF and EIGRP on IPv4 and IPv6. Some commands are very similar but some are a little different.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Ok... first I would say.. Don't cram it too much, but read it a couple of times, seek out some videos on Youtube, and even practice using some IPV6 setups on a lab.

With that being said, I did not get any IPV6 questions on both tests when I certified. And from the looks of many other people that have taken the test, they say they may have gotten 1 on ICND1 and none on ICND2.

However, as I sit here and study for CCNP, I have a feeling it come into play more as studies progress.

So, I would say, don't worry too much about IPV6. I am not saying not to study it... But I will say, spend most of your review for ICND2 on Frame Relay, OSPF, and EIGRP. Also know your STP and Switch security. And they do mix in some ICND1 material in the ICND2 test.

Good Luck.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    I didn't get any in ICND1, however a colleague at work got 10 IPv6 in his composite exam...!

It's typical, don't study it well you'll get lots of questions, do study it well and you won't. I really went to great lengths to know IPv6 inside out for ICND1, after all there were 5 chapters on it in Odom's book.

Good news, for ICND2 most of the stuff is just re-iterating that.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i would agree with most here. Have a basic understanding of the IPv6 versions and addressing, but it is a very small part of the test.