Options

Passed S+ is CASP worth it now?

AJoshuaAJoshua Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Morning/Afternoon/Evening All,

I just passed Security+ a few weeks ago and I'm wondering what cert to go for now. I have heard that although CASP is a relative new cert not many employers really think highly of it and is seen as a waste of time. But my ambitions are to work for the Federal Government and CASP seen by them is quite high..I believe on par with CISSP according to dod 8570 (Correct me if I'm wrong). So bottom line..should I do CASP seeing that I want to work for the government or is there some other cert I should be looking at? My end goal would be for a CISSP cert somewhere down in the future but I'm only a Senior (BBA Infrastructure Assurance) with no hands on experience in the field and some certs do require that.

Many thanks in advance :)

AJ

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    CASP is scaled for people with 10+ years of IT experience not just book smarts. But if you willing to tackle the task by all means go ahead. But it will be hard if you don't have much practical experience in the focus the certification covers. Security + is designed to cover the basics of the CASP, your best bet would be to do the GIAC now.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's a tough one for me to answer. My gut says go for it since it puts you at a higher level for DOD jobs. My brain tells me don't, since you don't have the experience that they recommend. I'm thrifty as well and that exam is a lot of money so that is another no for me.

Really comes down to you.

I'm a bit of a purist though when it comes to certifications, I think you should just get ones that align with the skills you have, not just where you want to go. That's not the most popular stance around these parts :)
  • Options
    hmm okay I see ya'lls points. Would CCNA Sec be another option?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not sure how that works, do you get your CCNA and then Security Designation? I think getting the CCNA is usually a good idea, rarely a "bad" idea especially if you want to get into networking and or security.
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would do something from ISC2
  • Options
    I was thinking about SSCP, but that is another entry level security cert. I feel SSCP is on the same level as S+ and I kind of want to move up the lader you know?
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Its not thought highly of because it is too new, the exposure is not matured yet. I can tell you that it is more difficult than Sec+ and if you don't have a few years experience you will struggle with the simulations. From a knowledge standpoint I say it is well worth the effort if you are wanting to go down the InfoSec road.

what is your current position and level of knowledge in IT?
  • Options
    da_vato wrote: »
    Its not thought highly of because it is too new, the exposure is not matured yet. I can tell you that it is more difficult than Sec+ and if you don't have a few years experience you will struggle with the simulations. From a knowledge standpoint I say it is well worth the effort if you are wanting to go down the InfoSec road.

what is your current position and level of knowledge in IT?

Well like I said I have S+ and I'm a year out from finishing my degree in Infrastructure Assurance. My whole life I've been very computer savvy in many aspects. But other then that I don't have much to show for really. It took me a good week to study for the Security+ exam (852). I'm sure I can nail the CASP given enough study time even if it says 5-10 years of IT experience. I guess I'm just looking for some sort of cert track that will benefit me. I'm thinking maybe CASP, CCNA, throw some Linux in there somewhere, then maybe some other cert before I can take the CISSP (hopefully by then I'll have the experience needed).
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Personally I don’t believe there is such a thing as useless knowledge… well unless you are speaking to my sister-in-law but that’s a whole other matter :P If you think you can obtain a cert and you think it could eventually be useful then do it.

You never really know when certain knowledge will help you. I am a firm believer in get all that can while you can especially if you can afford it and have the time. Later in life you might not have as much money nor the time as you had hoped.

• Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    AJoshua wrote: »
    I was thinking about SSCP, but that is another entry level security cert. I feel SSCP is on the same level as S+ and I kind of want to move up the lader you know?
    I honestly don't think they are on the same level
  • Options
    abyssinica wrote: »
    I honestly don't think they are on the same level

Yeah you're right, the more and more I research it seems one step harder. I would like to take the SSCP but I would not be able to work full time for a year for atleast another 1.5 years at the latest to achieve full SSCP status, I don't think its worth just having associate of SSCP just for show. I'm thinking just studying for CASP or maybe CCNA security.

How demanding of a cert is CCNA? I've heard some people really need to have a hands on experience, is that totally necessary?
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    AJoshua wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, the more and more I research it seems one step harder. I would like to take the SSCP but I would not be able to work full time for a year for atleast another 1.5 years at the latest to achieve full SSCP status, I don't think its worth just having associate of SSCP just for show. I'm thinking just studying for CASP or maybe CCNA security.

How demanding of a cert is CCNA? I've heard some people really need to have a hands on experience, is that totally necessary?

Get it while you study.. via hardware or use GNS3 for the things you can do there. It's not necessary but will make your experience much more palpable and hard-coded.

CCNA-Security is a decent one, however, I don't know if the gripes you have about the SSCP are enough to warrant delaying getting it. Either way you will have to launch straight into a role that gives you responsibility to make either one worth it...