skills on resume not but not from working

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi there,

I was trying to find a post about the skills that people can put on their resume but I couldn't find it. So, I'll kinda ask again.

I've been learning about Wireshark and some other things. Would it be safe to put them under the skill's section? I haven't used them at the work place but I do work with them in labs.

I really wanna try to increase the views that my resume gets but I wanna do it without looking like a fool or lying.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it is fine, but you have to be ready to answer questions about it. I'll usually disclose to people that it is something that I have learned on my own time. Most employers seem to be happy to hear that you are improving yourself outside of the workplace.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can hold your own and speak to it during an interview, I say putting it on there won't be an issue. Always be prepared to be able to hold a discussion about anything you list on your resume.

Had a guy list Wireshark on his resume once and couldn't tell us about basic packet capture analysis.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It really depends on who your interviewing with.

Some interviewers will discount any listed skills if you can't point to a job where you used them. Which is why you see in some job listing next to the technology "in a production environment".

Then again some interviewers will admire the fact that you took it upon yourself to train in technologies on your own.

I've had both. I say go for it and put it on your resume but be prepared to answer any questions.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the response everyone!

I honestly don't mind talking about the skills or answering questions. I really enjoy talking about the technical stuff.
    So would it be alright to put "lab" next to the skill in order for the interviewers to know that I have a lab and that's where I'm learning from?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's in the skills section I wouldn't even bother putting lab next to it if you can perform the skills needed.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In my opinion a resume is for professional experience and qualifications only. Leave the labs or book reading off. If I read a skill on someone's resume I'd be expecting actual work experience with it. It'd be a waste of both of our times if we got on the phone and I found out it's something you've never touched in a production environment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think there is a hard fast rule for this but I personally agree with networker. I know how to backup databases on my home lab but don't do it in a production environment, I am sure the hell not listing that on my resume.

If we were having a conversation and the opportunity presented itself I may bring it up, but even then I would be leery.

I would rather under sell and over deliver than over sell and under deliver.