CCNP books

ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
Which CCNP books are you guys using for the ROUTE track? For some reason, I find the Official Certification Guide by Wendell Odom horrible. Something about Odom I just don't like, I find what he's explaining very confusing. I noticed the same when I studied for my CCNA. When I read the Official Certification Guide for SWITCH by David Hucaby, I found the read to be very fluid and easy to understand. I might be nitpicking on this one, but I still can't help but complain. I was thinking about getting the Foundation Learning Guide for ROUTE, which I believe just gets into more detail that's not necessarily covered on the ROUTE exam.

Thoughts?
Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Route is a beast, you have to master many topics, commonly new stuff for people coming from CCNA or with limited work experience. I think the OCG book as been ofically labled by most here as the worst reading resource available. Not to say it is horrible but not the best. I personally would suggest choosing the Foundation Learning Guide and the Simplified book. I read all 3 and would never recommend the OCG to anyone over the FLG or Simplified books.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found that the OCG was missing tons of info covered in the ROUTE exam. Go with FLG. I used OCG, FLG (which was pretty accurate) and CBT Nuggets.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I found that the OCG was missing tons of info covered in the ROUTE exam. Go with FLG. I used OCG, FLG (which was pretty accurate) and CBT Nuggets.

I agree that content is missing as well. I did take the exam originally just by reading the OCG and labbing and felt things were missing as well. I feel like the OCG book is written with the assumption you already know a lot of the topics and the intent is more a review not a teaching resource.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    I'm sitting the Route on the 29th this month and have gone through the OCG (poor), Route Simplified and Chris Bryant: Route (and the video series). I've got to say that the Bryant stuff is the best supplimented with the videos is fantastic stuff, hopefully this will get me a pass in my NP Route anyway :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I went ahead and purchased the FLG. I'm glad I wasn't alone on this one. I really thought it was me when reading the OCG
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    question on this.
    Is there any book that you can carry around with you and doesn't weigh a ton and is completely massive. I would like to take it on the bus and read it on the way home from work etc however with nearly a 1000 page book this doesn't seem reasonable.

Thanks in advance.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cider,

You can always get Electronic versions and read on a nice 9-10" tablet. That's what I do, best for on the go reading, although I do prefer having hardcopies for home use and while labbing it's faster to flip through pages.
    I just added the Kindle app to my iPad and I'm digging it. An iPad or Kindle is your best bet if you want to keep it light. But to be honest, the Cisco books are pretty light in comparison with other books. They are thick, but pretty light for that thickness. I like using both, but I'm still 80% physical and 20% device.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    If you want probably the best book on routing I would suggest Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2. They are big books but they will bring your understanding of routing up to a whole new level.
    lrb wrote: »
    If you want probably the best book on routing I would suggest Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2. They are big books but they will bring your understanding of routing up to a whole new level.
    I've really thought about getting both those books. I've heard nothing bug good things about them. I just didn't know if it would be to much for my CCNP studies, as in pull away my focus of what would be tested. I wouldn't really say pull away, as I'm sure it would solidify all topics that would be on the CCNP, it's more of the time it would take. Those suckers are thick!!!
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    If I could do it all over again I would read one of the cert guides (I read both FLG and OCG, very carefully) and then certain chapters from Routing TCP/IP vol 1. The first chapter that covers TCP/IP basics is great because I don't think the cert guides have anything equivalent to it. The static routing chapter is great and I learned new things from it. Pretty much everything in Vol1 except IS-IS and RIP is relevant to the exam and it comes down to how much time you have. I would stay away from Vol 2 though because BGP is not a big part of the route exam and you'd waste a ton of time if you try to go deep with that protocol.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Yeah that is a concern but I'm guessing the knowledge won't go to waste if you want to pursue other certs like CCNP SP or CCIE right? These are probably the only tech books (with the exception of QoS cert guide and CEF) that I have read cover to cover (with the exception of the EGP chapter!)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 and 2 are bibles. Get them read. Too much knowledge will never hurt in this game.
    I got my FLG in the mail today! Wow!! This guy is pretty thick! I have no idea why, but I get excited about Cisco books. It must be the geek inside me. My biggest challenge is keeping focused on the reading. I get distracted to easily. And the funny part is, when I'm not reading I keep thinking about reading and getting chapters put away. Very weird. I just really have to focus and get through this FLG. I'm glad I bought it. Thanks for the direction guys!!!
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 and 2 are bibles. Get them read. Too much knowledge will never hurt in this game.

Great books indeed. Wouldn't hurt to read these for prep with Route but not needed. I plan on buying them after I finish off NP.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Question for you guys - I found TCP/IP Illustrated Vol I and Vol II cheap so I picked them up, not even thinking that what I was looking for what "Routing TCP/IP Vol I and Vol II"

Has anyone read the "Illustrated" series and could comment on how it differs from the "Routing" series? From what I gather, it is specifically geared toward TCP and IP concepts, where as the "Routing TCP/IP" focuses on routing protocol specifics.
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Question for you guys - I found TCP/IP Illustrated Vol I and Vol II cheap so I picked them up, not even thinking that what I was looking for what "Routing TCP/IP Vol I and Vol II"

Has anyone read the "Illustrated" series and could comment on how it differs from the "Routing" series? From what I gather, it is specifically geared toward TCP and IP concepts, where as the "Routing TCP/IP" focuses on routing protocol specifics.
    You want the Routing TCP/IP Vol I and Vol II mate. That's what people use to study for the CCIE and even other high level certs. I've heard nothing but good things about those books, they are the de facto in teaching you TCP/IP. I think the illustrated series is just another take from a different author and book vendor, a different approach if you will.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm plan to slowly study for CCNP while I work my way into the IT field. Does anyone have a good recommendation for printed lab books? I am most interested in Switch first but I will want Route also. I am looking for a hardcopy because I plan to use it over the course of a year or so and I want to be able to just add notes into the margins.

Sorry if this is a little off topic from the other posts here. I just figured the books and labs go together so I would jump in and see what others are using.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I'm plan to slowly study for CCNP while I work my way into the IT field. Does anyone have a good recommendation for printed lab books? I am most interested in Switch first but I will want Route also. I am looking for a hardcopy because I plan to use it over the course of a year or so and I want to be able to just add notes into the margins.

Sorry if this is a little off topic from the other posts here. I just figured the books and labs go together so I would jump in and see what others are using.

Thanks,
    Jon
    I used the CCNP SWITCH Lab Manual (Lab Companion) to study for my CCNP SWITCH. It was a great lab book that helped drill down the topics. I would highly recommend it, it's only $42.00 on Amazon.
    I used the CCNP SWITCH Lab Manual (Lab Companion) to study for my CCNP SWITCH. It was a great lab book that helped drill down the topics. I would highly recommend it, it's only $42.00 on Amazon.

You can find these free. Search for it in google, however its a PDF version. Personally I liked this as a PDF as I could have it open on one monitor while labbing on the other.
    I actually found them through this forum, which I thought was pretty awesome. I purchased it simply because I wanted the printed version. I love getting Cisco books and filling my shelf up. I look at it as my shelf of achievement! :D
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    You want the Routing TCP/IP Vol I and Vol II mate. That's what people use to study for the CCIE and even other high level certs. I've heard nothing but good things about those books, they are the de facto in teaching you TCP/IP. I think the illustrated series is just another take from a different author and book vendor, a different approach if you will.

Ok I kind of figured this would be the case. I actually looked into the Illustrated series Vol II, and I am almost thinking about just giving it away, as it is waaaay further into TCP depth than I care to venture for quite some time from the bits of the book I was able to see on Amazon.com.

Will definitely pick up the Routing TCP/IP Vol I and see how they compare, thank you for the response sir!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

Thanks. I have considered this one. I will order it now.

I am looking for a hard copy for this one only because I know I will be taking breaks and I want to keeps notes of my progress. It's worth a little bit of cash for me to help keep my focus.

Jon
  • ghonayghonay Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The only thing I can see that would be considered a drawback in Wendell's books is just the sheer amount of material. But I think that about pretty much every "official" textbook for every cert I've ever gotten. When using those to study, I usually find it the most helpful to go through the book and just try to come away with a high level understanding of everything and then go through a second time and dig a little deeper into the nuts and bolts. I usually find that I have a tough time understanding and retaining if I try to learn everything the first time through, especially since a lot of stuff in earlier chapters makes a lot more sense after reading stuff in later chapters.
    ghonay wrote: »
    The only thing I can see that would be considered a drawback in Wendell's books is just the sheer amount of material. But I think that about pretty much every "official" textbook for every cert I've ever gotten. When using those to study, I usually find it the most helpful to go through the book and just try to come away with a high level understanding of everything and then go through a second time and dig a little deeper into the nuts and bolts. I usually find that I have a tough time understanding and retaining if I try to learn everything the first time through, especially since a lot of stuff in earlier chapters makes a lot more sense after reading stuff in later chapters.
    I agree. It's funny how that works, a few chapters later it clicks regarding what they were talking about earlier.