InfoSec: Keeping Up To Date

niall.nfniall.nf Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'd like to open the floor and ask how Infosec professionals are keeping up to date and sifting through the overwhelming volume of info that is available these days?

Is this volume of information empowering or distracting?

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    niall.nf wrote: »
    I'd like to open the floor and ask how Infosec professionals are keeping up to date and sifting through the overwhelming volume of info that is available these days?

Is this volume of information empowering or distracting?

From what I've seen there tends to be a lot of redundancy in the various information streams. I'd like to think that as a whole we're getting better as a society at general information security. As far as the sources of information goes, one just has to attempt to avoid the garbage information (there seems to be a lot of it in IS) and combine the disparate sources that are all talking about the same thing different ways.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    From what I've seen there tends to be a lot of redundancy in the various information streams.

I have noticed this overwhelmingly...you essentially can choose one or two sites because they all regurgitate the same stories and very few have completely original content.

That said, I enjoy when the article links to technical papers/discussions from the company itself, like Mandiant, Crowdstrike, etc.

I like the layout of Ars Technica so I typically go there for my security news, in addition to /r/netsec on Reddit.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bookmarks and other feeds. Yes, lots of overlapping information but you also get different interpretations. I generally skim through most of it unless I find something that's directly related to my circumstances. Rather than empowering or distracting, I'd say it's just overwhelming.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keeping up is hard enough, but advancing and seeking understanding makes it a full time job in itself.
  • HeismanHeisman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good morning all,

I was wondering if you could list some of the sources you use to keep up to date, so I can start to make a list and evaluate them over time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Heisman.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Keeping up is hard enough, but advancing and seeking understanding makes it a full time job in itself.

Agreed and I really feel for you guys on the technical side of security. Thankfully things are slower on the GRC side, even if I still have to have some awareness of the ever evolving threat landscape.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I listen to podcasts such as: Security Now!, Risky Business, The CyberJungle, and SANS Internet StormCast.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While on this topic, besides the ones mentioned by LauraMalave, what are some good sites/news feeds etc that someone in the security field could subscribe to for useful reading for not only keeping up on recent event and news/threats but also furthering ones knowledge?
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I read a number of blogs and keep abreast of the news in general (what happens in the world will generally affect my industry). I tend to focus on the items directly concerning the job I do on a daily basis, which helps to weed out some of the white noise I tend to run across.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    While on this topic, besides the ones mentioned by LauraMalave, what are some good sites/news feeds etc that someone in the security field could subscribe to for useful reading for not only keeping up on recent event and news/threats but also furthering ones knowledge?

I used to do a massive 'bookmark' ****, but now I just refer people to /r/netsec - it's a solid aggregation of all things infosec. The sidebar on that page also features /r/pwned, and /r/malware which I enjoy as well.
  • niall.nfniall.nf Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I spent some time using twitter to keep up, subscribing to every infosec professional and news feed i could, but after some time I ended up suspending my account. The reason being, every time I checked it there were tons and tons of tweets waiting for me and it became impossible to read and digest them all leaving me completely overwhelmed and with a constant feeling of things undone. I now just stick to sites like darkreading and nakedsecurity and sans.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Twitter sucks for updates. Between the bots and people regurgitating week old "news" it's just overwhelming. I'm using Feedly more and more to organize my feeds and sift through them.