Options

Which Cert? 70-680 or 70 -410.. Exam advice and labbing.

Qasim_KhanQasim_Khan Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All I really want to start gaining some certs under my belt. I have just built new PC specifically for labbing, this includes a 6 core CPU 32 gigs of ram and 500gb SSD. Any adive on labbing and virtual machine setups/configurations would be great. To begin with I have just installed VMWARE workstation 10. I am hoping to lab in a virtual environment.

I was thinking of doing the 70 -680 exam first. ideally in the long run I would like to get into a server administrator role as well as working with virtualisation. I am currently working in a 2nd line support role. I have been in the role for around 2years+ now so am looking to move up. what Cert would be ideal for me to do?.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What resource materials (books, CBT, etc) are you using to guide you through the study process?

My advice is to use more than one study resource, and lab EVERYTHING.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    What materials would you recommend to pass this exam. I have the Craig zacker lab manual . Dan poulton book and a hard copy of the ms training kit.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MS press book and Poulton book at a minimum. I also recommend using some type of CBT like CBTNuggets, TrainSignal, or TestOut. The more resources you use, the better. Take your time with the material and take notes as you go. Lab everything.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just passed this one last week.

I would recommend reading Poulton and labbing. A LOT.
    Creating your own notes/study guide helps too.

ALSO try this link: http://pc-addicts.com/building-the-ultimate-virtualbox-lab-1-configure-vbox/

Helped me to completely set up a virtual environment using VirtualBox on my PC.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    Thank you for your responses.

srabiee -I will get my hands on some CBT nugget videos ;)

Gadav478 - That link was very helpfull. I wonder if there is something similar for vmware workstation 10. I will have a look. If not the virtual box will Suffice.

A few people have advised me to take the Server 2012 certs first such as the 70-410 to 70-412 Exams.

I was thinking of doing the 70 -680 exam first. ideally in the long run I would like to get into a server administrator role as well as working with virtualisation. I am currently working in a 2nd line support role. I have been in the role for around 2years+ now so am looking to move up. what Cert would be ideal for me to do?.

What do you guys reckon?
  • Options
    jacksonrjacksonr Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have mine booked for September, failed the last one with 622.

Just a quick one, with the PC Addicts link, he is using Server 2012. Doesnt the 70-680 relate more to Server 2008?