New it job!!!!!! And i'm loving it.

omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
HI GUYS,

I've recently got my first real IT job in Dell couple months ago. It's an amazing place to work & a great company to work for I believe. Opportunities are endless once you are in. I plan on moving to the PowerVault-NAS or Dell Equalogic dept. after 8-9 months since my current role requires me to stay at least 10 months before moving on. I hopefully will end up in their Networking Dept. which support Dell PowerConnect switches & other network peripherals.

One thing I've found out bout Dell is IT Certs are the THING in Dell to move on in your career. They are crazy bout Certs. No matter how much experienced you are doing what you do, without certs you will be the last one to get any attention.

I used to be so jealous bout other members who have great IT jobs while I was prepping for my Certs since last 2 years. ALways wished I was in their position. I've finally achieved my dream. No matter which side of the IT world you wanna be an expert on, Dell has opportunities for you to grow..

Thank you guys for all the inspiration & courage ya'll have provided me in this forum.

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    That sounds super awesome, many congrats @omi2123!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the job!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Where in Oklahoma are you located?? I'm somewhat new to the area (Tulsa)..feel free to PM - never a bad idea to make some local-ish IT contacts
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the gig!
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new job! Dell is one of the places I'd really be interested in working.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Congrats, Dell seems like it would be a cool environment, especially after the M. Dell buyback.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Gallager00Gallager00 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice going! You only get better from here. icon_cheers.gif
    2016 Goals: CCNA Security, CCNA Data Center, VCP6-NV. Mostly focusing on skills rather than certs.
    2016 Completed:
    Currently reading: CCNA Security, programming books
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! Keep us posted on how it goes ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    omi2123 wrote: »
    I plan on moving to the PowerVault-NAS or Dell Equalogic dept.
    omi2123 wrote: »
    I hopefully will end up in their Networking Dept.

Keen :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Obviously the OP hasn't been updated. IT sucks, you'll work endless hours, get no respect, be outsourced or magically replaced by some cloud crap. icon_smile.gif

On a more serious note, congrats on the gig. Always keep momentum going and never stop exploring new paths. It's one heck of a ride if you play your cards right. Champagne falls from the sky, the chicks dig it... Oh wait, lost my serious note again. Dang!
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nah - IT is great - especially when you to explain your work stuff to non-IT people. When I got married the registration office "interviewed" the both of us. When they asked her what my job is - she answered apparently "IT stuff" .. classic ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on your accomplishment, gonna whore up on certs now to work at Dell! :D
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    thank you everyone for congratulating me. Keep me in ya'lls prayer so that i can succeed.