Options

Very confused about certifications.

indiatechyindiatechy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I am new here and this is my first post. I am very much confused on doing certifications. Let me introduce myself.

I am Nathan from India. I did studied A+, N+, MCSE and CCNA courses in a local institute. I haven’t completed any Professional certifications from CompTia for A+ or N+ and not for MCSE and CCNA also. As per requirement in our India they don’t ask A+ or N+ certification for Fresher. Maximum companies prefer us to have Microsoft certifications, So here it comes…. I am thinking to study for some Microsoft Server based certifications and was ready to go for Server 2012 Certifications and then thought of server 2008 certifications. So my questions are,

1. Which Server (2008 or 2012) you guys prefer ?
2. As I am a starter and fresher to this career which Certification should I complete first (MTA or MCSA or any preferred) or if as of your experience which certification you guys did first and then for which you went ?
Please guys I have been trying to find answer for my questions from some months im very confused. So GUIDE me

Thank you in Advance

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1) Both are equally viable. Choose whichever you have more experience in. MCSA: Server 2008 can be upgraded to MCSA: Server 2012 later down the road. Also consider that you will need to build a lab (either physical or virtual), so you will need to obtain either Server 2008 R2 OS software with Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, or Server 2012 R2 OS software with Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

2) MTA is too entry-level IMO and more than likely isn't going to assist in furthering your career. Start with the MCSA.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    1) Both are equally viable. Choose whichever you have more experience in. MCSA: Server 2008 can be upgraded to MCSA: Server 2012 later down the road. Also consider that you will need to build a lab (either physical or virtual), so you will need to obtain either Server 2008 R2 OS software with Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, or Server 2012 R2 OS software with Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

2) MTA is too entry-level IMO and more than likely isn't going to assist in furthering your career. Start with the MCSA.

Thanks for your reply Friend.

and i saw in some sites that MCSA is for Older versions of windows servers like 2000 or 2003 and MCTS is for Windows server 2008, can anyone clear my doubt about it and as per you guys which Certification should i take first.

Thank you all for your Support.:)
  • Options
    chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Its just not about the certifications. Its also about the lab that you will be practicing these solutions on. In India you will find 2008 R2 in a lot of companies and that might be a better bet as you are looking for entry level roles.

Hit me up if you need any other details !

Cheers

Adarsh
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are confused on Microsoft certification paths, please research this site:

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/certification-overview.aspx
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    If you are confused on Microsoft certification paths, please research this site:

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/certification-overview.aspx

Hi buddy thanks for your reply. But while checking i decided to come up with [FONT=wf_SegoeUI, Segoe UI, Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring (640) and in future i will go for 642 and 646 and any best suggestions for Practising and any good Ebooks or physical books which you suggest me to read indepth ?

Thanks again my friend :)[/FONT]
  • Options
    Its just not about the certifications. Its also about the lab that you will be practicing these solutions on. In India you will find 2008 R2 in a lot of companies and that might be a better bet as you are looking for entry level roles.

Hit me up if you need any other details !

Cheers

Adarsh

Hi Adarsh,
    Thanks for your reply, see currently i am working as a support guy (voice based) and i do small things not basically i am permitted to work based on Servers. I just want to install VMware and install Server 2008 and try practising some of things given in some books myself in home. and Which server 2008 or 2008 R2 is good ? and can you suggest me MCSA (640) certification exam is good to go ? and please suggest any Books from Flipkart so that i will buy and study myself indepth..

And what kind of work presently you are doing ?

Thanks in advance :)
  • Options
    If you are just starting out then its better that you can go for the 2012 Certifications. Books are available on flipkart. Look for the Microsoft version of the 70-410 , 70-411 and the 70-412.

Microsoftvirtualacademy.com is also very helpful in understanding how things work in the Windows Server 2012 space.

Plan your time accordingly. You can install VMWare workstation which should suffice initial lab requirements or use one of the Cloud Services like Azure or AWS.

I moved to Wellington, New Zealand early this year. I now work as a DevOps Engineer at a technology consulting firm on AWS - Amazon Web Services.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]

• Options
    If you are just starting out then its better that you can go for the 2012 Certifications. Books are available on flipkart. Look for the Microsoft version of the 70-410 , 70-411 and the 70-412.

Microsoftvirtualacademy.com is also very helpful in understanding how things work in the Windows Server 2012 space.

Plan your time accordingly. You can install VMWare workstation which should suffice initial lab requirements or use one of the Cloud Services like Azure or AWS.

I moved to Wellington, New Zealand early this year. I now work as a DevOps Engineer at a technology consulting firm on AWS - Amazon Web Services.

Yes thanks again for guiding me Adarsh bro :)

Just a small little doubt left. See you said me to go on from 2012 server but as per my guess many people still are migrated to 2012 and If i learn 2012 server certifications will the concepts in this help me while using 2008 server versions ?

Hoping for your answer and yes when it comes to flipkart many Books are their as soon as i get your answer for this will just let you know which books i am taking and if possible leave me your email here

Thanks again bro :) and its awesome u r working in AWS :D it would be great experience their right ? :D and how much year experience you have ?
  • Options
    You can connect to me via my LinkedIn.