Options

Looking for some cert advice please

lynnex1138lynnex1138 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I’ve been lurking here a while and now I was hoping to get some advice and opinions about what certs to pursue.

I was in tech support (for windows machines) for several years and got to level 3 support, I also have worked as a windows server admin for a small organization. Then due to some medical emergencies, I did not work at all for almost 5 years and my tech skills obviously took a hit. I got back into level 2 support and then got laid off and ended up taking an entry level support job to keep working. I am not progressing in skill in my current job and in order to land something better I want to pursue certification.

I have no certs right now and am unsure what I should take first. I have a tech background, but my skills have slipped. I want to eventually get my MCSA and work with servers again but I am unsure whether I should start with MTA, Comptia certs or jump right into MCSA.

Any advice about the tests, their difficulty or what certs you would pursue in my position would really contribute to my decision making process and be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!

Lynne

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't waste your time with the MTAs, go straight for the MCSA since that is your goal
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for the MCSA.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice both of you. I definitely don't have time to waste with the position I'm in. I will start looking into what I need to get started pursuing my MCSA.
  • Options
    Here's another question I just thought of, which would most of you recommend, the 2008 or 2012 track?

Thanks again,

Lynne
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know about most people but I think 2008 is still very much in use. If you are going to continue with Certs then I would say do 2008 and work your way up to 2012. If you want to do it only once probably go straight for 2012.

Really your focus should be on what is being requested in the job adds the interest you.

Good Luck
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With your experience, CompTIA and MTA are going to be a waste of time and money. I agree with pursuing MCSA certs.

You can start with one of the desktop MCSA's (MCSA: Windows 7 or MCSA: Windows 8 ), or skip the desktop path and go straight to the server MCSA's (MCSA: Server 2008 or MCSA: Server 2012).

As far as 2008 R2 vs 2012 R2, you can't go wrong either way. From what I read, 2012 adoption rate is slow and you are much more likely to see 2008 R2 in the field vs 2012. That may be a factor in deciding which technology you want to study. Pick one and get to work. Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    With your experience, CompTIA and MTA are going to be a waste of time and money. I agree with pursuing MCSA certs.

You can start with one of the desktop MCSA's (MCSA: Windows 7 or MCSA: Windows 8 ), or skip the desktop path and go straight to the server MCSA's (MCSA: Server 2008 or MCSA: Server 2012).

As far as 2008 R2 vs 2012 R2, you can't go wrong either way. From what I read, 2012 adoption rate is slow and you are much more likely to see 2008 R2 in the field vs 2012. That may be a factor in deciding which technology you want to study. Pick one and get to work. Good luck!

If you wanted to fast track; you could get the MCSA in Windows by passing the 680 and the 686, which is also MCITP Desktop Administration... then, you can pass the 417 and you will have an MCSA in Windows 7 and an MCSA in Server 2012

-scott