CCENT/CCNA Prepping

merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have officially begun my path to certification, I have on the job experience along with completing the Cisco discovery/exploration curriculum for my AAS. I had originally got a PDF for Todd Lammle's CCNA R/S book, but for some reason PDF's don't set very well for me, so I bought the book from Amazon. So far I am 2 chapters in and it's pretty basic, more like a refresher because most of the stuff I already know. I really like the writing style, it seems to to come across easily. Very well spoken and good overall structure, thus far. My plan is this:

.. However many chapters are in the CCENT/CCNA, I will divide those chapters up into to days like such:
Day 1: Chapter 1, 2 (This are really introductory chapters, and can be lumped together).
Day 2: Chapter 2 Day 3
Day 4: ....
Etc...... I will use a 3-4 hour block for reading, and doing the labs, and the reviews and then move onto the next chapter the following day. I think this will be a good method as I will not be overloading my self as it is very easy for me to get lost in the endless streams of text. I think the only thing I will really be rusty on is some routing and WAN. Wish me luck! After this it is on to my CCNA Security as I have already purchased the book. ..

*Update 7/13/2014*
So far I have made it to the beginning of Chapter 9: OSPF, and so far I am loving this book. I am feeling really comfortable so far. I should have the first ICND1 section read by Tuesday. I am scheduling the CCENT on Next Tuesday if all goes well. ...

*Update 7/16/2014* ICND1 passed with a score of 881, Woot!

*Update 7/16/2014*
With ICND1 behind me, I am starting on the second half of my book from Todd Lammle plus videos from CBT nuggets. I hope to sit for the CCNA in 2 weeks time.

Comments

• HeismanHeisman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate, do you mind if I ask what it is about PDF you don't like working with over Hardcopy? What were you using to read the PDF?
  • merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! Just reading it in Adobe, it's hard on they eyes, and I have a hard time focusing reading something off of a screen. I can breeze through a good book though.
  • MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What helps me is getting the .epub version and then I will inverse the colors onscreen so that it can be easier to read. White text on a black background is SOOO much better!!
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Todd's writing style is excellent for learning the material. I spent a solid 3 weeks reading and taking notes and used only his two books to pass the CCENT. I failed ICND2 twice because I was too arrogant in thinking I could pass it the same way I did the ICND1. Take your time, absorb, regurgitate, and repeat. When you can teach it, you know it.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And above all else, KNO YO SHO COMMANDS!!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I prefer the actual book and I am glad you did too. Goes well on the bookshelf with all my other textbooks/IT cert guides.
    Highlighting is key for me and I prefer the hardcopy for this reason. yes i know you can on a ebook but it is not the same.
    I also get to scribble little notes with a pen to clarify things.
    I get to flip through pages EASILY. I get to pick it up and bring to my whiteboard to copy diagrams/commands.
    Also, the Lammle book is Softcover!!!

Good luck!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I prefer a real book because I find it easier on my eyes after working 10+ hours on a computer.

My wife has a kindle paper white and I think they are great but I can't bring myself to buy one yet.

Good Luck!
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I thought it was just me who struggles to read off the iPad. I've been trying to start studying for my CCENT, but it's just not working with the iPad so I'm going to purchase the actual hard copy and go from there.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I prefer a real book because I find it easier on my eyes after working 10+ hours on a computer.

THIS! icon_thumright.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    I thought it was just me that preferred actual books to electronic variants! At least that is the consensus amongts my friends and peers. There are too many distractions when attempting to read a digital copy as usually the device that you are reading it on can do more than just show you an ebook. It can play games and other goodies. Such encouraging words. I will keep everyone up to date on my progress. I hope to take the CCENT before the month is out, maybe a bit ambitious but I am feeling pretty comfortable with the knowledge I already have plus the knowledge that Todd is laying down in his book.
    Just another update, I have about completed the first half of the book and gone ahead and scheduled the first part of my exam for This Wedensday. I am feeling pretty solid on on all of the concepts. Wish me luck!
  • CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck Dude, it sounds like you are getting it. I'm hopefully going to be booking my exam today, although I won't be able to take it until the end of October. Lots of stuff on my radar at the moment, and I want to make sure I am prepped and ready. Let us know how you get on :)
  • NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck merc.man87 I'm planning to take ICND1 in two weeks...Let us know how it goes!
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I bought Todd's and Odom's PDF version of the Kindle and I just couldn't read it well. I concur with others I can read a physical book so much quicker. I finished Odom's book last weekend and now reading Todd's book. Their both well written but Odom's book really stuck to me and Todd's book is more refresher to me with a different style of teaching it.

Once I'm done with this book I'll do the CBT Nuggets video's and maybe by then I'll have the Pearson Vue Network simulator done by then and I'll sit the exam. I'll probably blow it away but I like over studying than not studying enough...