Options

Passed ICND1 (100-101) Today!!

tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Today I passed the CCENT exam with a 960!

I started studying seriously about a month and half ago. I don't have any real-world experience directly in networking but I do have an A.S. degree in Network Administration & Security Management and I also took a couple of networking classes while finishing my Business Information Systems degree this year.

The test was pretty straightforward and I felt pretty confident answering all questions. I was running out of time towards the end so I started reading a little faster and end up finishing it with 10 mins to spare.

Here's what I used to study:

1. Read Odom's 100-101 book 1 time thoroughly
2. Watched Chris Bryant's videos on Udemy
3. Read 31 days before your CCENT Certification Exam (5 days before the exam)
4. Lab with packet tracer and GNS3
5. Practice tests with Boson (if you can pass these, you'll have no problem on the real exam)

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I'm hoping to finish studying for icnd2 in 1 - 1.5 moths.

This forum has been a great source of information even though I have not been a very active member. I plan on being more involved so please let me know if you have any questions about the exams and/or my study methods. I'd love to help in any way I can.

Comments

• Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Congratulations! I'm getting started in CCNA as well.
    Did you use any real hardware or was it all GNS3 ?
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! what did you feel was the hardest part to study for? On ICND2 I got hit with a SIM with 14 min. left and 8 questions still to go....cut time close on that one!
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Excellent. Congrats. Now get back to studying! :)
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    you are better off usuing Packet Tracer 6.0 than GNS3 I think. cause in ICND2, you will need to practice ether channel & as far as i know, GNS3 switch es don't support that unless you choose to buy physical switches.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, excellent score! I can't wait to take mine!
  • Options
    tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Itrimble wrote: »
    Congratulations! I'm getting started in CCNA as well.
    Did you use any real hardware or was it all GNS3 ?

Thanks man! It was a combination of GN3 and Packet Tracer. I started building my own lab but the furthest I got was buying one 2950 switch and powering it on once or twice lol. When I started studying I realized that everything could be done with PT/GNS3, so I decided to delay on the lab.

prdemon wrote: »
    Congrats! what did you feel was the hardest part to study for? On ICND2 I got hit with a SIM with 14 min. left and 8 questions still to go....cut time close on that one!

Thanks! I thought the hardest part was IPv6. The new terms and the way ipv6 operates can throw you off a little when you're so used to ipv4. Wow that sounds like an awful 14 minutes lol

merc.man87 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass, excellent score! I can't wait to take mine!

Thanks!! Good luck studying!