Options

Computer Repair Kit

OkasonOkason Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Please can someone recomend or help me with a site or store where I can get Computer repair kit for a good deal.
All things work together for good........to them that believe..

Comments

• Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Are you looking for a basic repair kit or an advanced one?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    What sort of repairs do you plan to do?

PC?
    Printer?
    Copy Machine or all office machines?

Will you be soldering on the spot? Checking voltage? Looking for cracks?
    Or do you want a box to contain all your peripherals and keep that at the ready without getting them banged up from job to job?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Am looking for a basic to advanced repairs. I need regular repair kit with a Voltmeter. I recently moved from Italy to here in San Diego CA. and I could not bring my tool kit.
    Am planning on having some repair mostly on PCs and maybe some basic Network troubleshooting and setups.
  • Options
    I used google to search for repair kits, and from what you specified on basic to advanced troubleshooting with pc's and basic networking, this repair kit would be around your requirments. But remember there are many kinds of repair kits and more in depth networking kits as well. I would still recommend doing a more in depth research on google for better prices and most important the right tools needed for your tasks. But here is what i found
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=1406&sku=27370
  • Options
    You may find that you can obtain better quality tools by merely going to the hardware store/electronics shop and purchasing individual tools. I used to sell 'kits' when I worked in a computer shop and there are many that are not much mroe than plastic coated junk.

The Multimeters are marginal, and you'll likely fair better purchasing a nice one separately. (sometimes the prongs are too short to reach anything on the cheaper ones).

Cablestogo has pretty decent equipment.

http://www.packetradio.com/NewProducts.htm

http://www.electools.com/

You may find that you can invest the same money and obtain a nice carrying case (or tackle box), and the tools you'll most likely use instead of screw drivers of 20 sizes when you'll use about 3.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    All i use is a basic fellows toolkit for around 15.00 which works great, and then i purchased my own multimeter. Pretty much what plantwiz said.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I was thinking of getting this one for my teenager for Xmas. It's a nice kit at a good price: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/7048/
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I just bought everything separate and carry it around in a laptop bag. It has plenty of space in it, even enough to carry a power supply along incase I may need it.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    I 'really' thought getting a kit would be a good thing, but the more I looked at the tools, and the cost, I decided I could build my own and be happy with that.

-I use a heavy-dut plastic tackle box.
    -Carry standard screws (in case something is missing from another techs build)
    -Couple screwdrivers - precision set, quick change craftsman 6-in-1 or 10-in-1??, Anyway, the bits are held on the shaft and changing between phillips and flat or torex is a matter of pulling the shaft and switching it the other direction)
    -Multimeter
    -Crimping tools - RJ11/12;RJ45 and coax (I haven't run into FibreOptic)
    -RJ45/RJ11-12 clips
    -Small dental kit - mirror (very handy and small), pick and tweezers.
    -SuperGlue
    -Various gender changers
    -solder iron (though most of that is handled in the shop)
    -electrical tape
    -various boot disks, system recovery etc...
    -variety of short cables (PS, Patch, IDE, etc.)
    -canned air
    -some other items I'm certain I'm forgetting???

Basically, if the client's location isn't 'clean' enough to work in, I'd rather bring things back to the bench. I have the space, I have a means to organize their components safely and I can trust no one will mess with stuff if I walk away from the area.

Travel as light a possible. Maybe keep the bulk in a tool box in your car, but when going inside, you can carry a breakaway case that only contains your normal 'necessities'.

Just a thought.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Wao I want to sincerely thank you all for these responses, I got more clues and answers from here than I had thought...In Europe We normally build our own kit by picking up stuffs one by one, it really encouraging to me that the same practice applies here.
    Plantwiz thank you so much for enumerating those tools...its very easy to forget stuff until you need them and its very embarassing to tell a client you came up to fix his system but forgot ur tool!
    Want to thank everybody again who has been a part of keeping this site running...please I don't know if this is appropriate to ask but am just wondering..how is this site maintained...?in my world we say that nothing is free even in Freetown..
  • Options
    okason wrote:
    Wao I want to sincerely thank you all for these responses, I got more clues and answers from here than I had thought...In Europe We normally build our own kit by picking up stuffs one by one, it really encouraging to me that the same practice applies here.
    Plantwiz thank you so much for enumerating those tools...its very easy to forget stuff until you need them and its very embarassing to tell a client you came up to fix his system but forgot ur tool!
    Want to thank everybody again who has been a part of keeping this site running...please I don't know if this is appropriate to ask but am just wondering..how is this site maintained...?in my world we say that nothing is free even in Freetown..

You are welcome.

As far as how and why this site works?
    The members help maintain the level of knowledge, but without Johan (aka "Webmaster") none of this would be possible. He handles the site and keeps us all in line ;)

So we all owe thanks to him, as well as everyone who support the links on this site, and each member who shares their knowledge. Again, without Johan, none of this would be possible...."He 'da man!" :D
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks Marcia icon_redface.gif I wouldn't have gotten this far without the help of people like yourself icon_thumright.gif
    how is this site maintained...?in my world we say that nothing is free even in Freetown....
    Well, this ain't Freetown ;) Although it doesn't quite pass as a salary, the support of our sponsors (banner ads) and those google ads will keep us going. I like to think TechExams.net, and hence my work, has a good influence on the IT industry/profession in general, which makes it worth every bit.