this machine does not allow interactive logins

cknapecknape Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
just wondered if anyone can help with this problem, created a new user on win2003 server dc. when this user tries to log in via xp client gets the above error message. if i make user a member of domain admin, logs in no problem.
but as user no chance.

why is this so. i presume i must enable a gpo setting somewhere.

can any one help.

cheers
A+
NETWORK+
MCP 70-270 70-290

Comments

• TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Terminal Services requires a license for any account other than the administrator to log in.

Add I think the smallest number of CAL's that you can purchase is a 5 pack.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a lot of difference between SBS and Terminal Server. As a general rule you will not be able to have your user log in unless you install TS as the only remote is usually the administrator account and you really do not want that icon_wink.gif

You can however enable remote connections using a VPN dial-in.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cknape wrote:
    just wondered if anyone can help with this problem, created a new user on win2003 server dc. when this user tries to log in via xp client gets the above error message. if i make user a member of domain admin, logs in no problem.
    but as user no chance.

why is this so. i presume i must enable a gpo setting somewhere.

can any one help.

cheers

hello,
    OK - in what term you access the 2003 server from the xp client? log on to domain? or - just accessing a shared folder? or you want to remotely manage the server?
    its true that you cant access a 2003 server if you only have a user permission - better to add more permission such as a backup operator (caused by the local gpo/security setting).
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.