Options

Easiest way to save multiple Router/Switch configurations?

bbugyi200bbugyi200 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a CCNA lab at home complete with 3 Cisco 1841 routers, a 2960 switch, a 3550 switch, and a 3560 switch. I am looking for an easy way to upload certain configurations on these devices when needed.

I don't like leaving my lab online all day, so some of the configuration changes I have to make every day can get a bit tedious. For example, it took me about a week to review a chapter on OSPF. Every day I would have to re-setup the OSPF and ip configurations on all 3 routers. And sometimes this is just simply to see the output of a certain show command, or something stupid like that.

So this leaves me with 3 options as far as I see it:

1. Save the configs to the start-up config, and then just use the erase startup-config command at the end of this chapter.
a. The only thing that I don't like about this idea is that certain settings do not seem to be saved into the Startup-config. For example, when I did this on some of my switches all of the VLAN settings seemed to keep. I believe they are stored in the flash, so I could clear them if I wanted to. Are there any other configurations that I have to worry about saving into an unexpected location?

2. Use a TFTP server on my computer to save these configs, and then just use the copy tftp running-config to bring back my configurations from the previous day.
a. I have a dedicated NIC on my computer that I could use for this kind of thing, but I would still need to configure the proper interface settings on each Cisco device before I could get a connection to the TFTP server. This might be more trouble then its worth.

3. You have a better idea :D!!!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just save them to flash unless you have so many it takes up too much space. You should also familiarize yourself with the vlan.dat file and how/where it is saved.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    bbugyi200bbugyi200 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply Networker. Hmmm. I didn't know that I could save a configuration file to the flash!

I will look into this. Thank you!!! :D