Options

Static NAT vs PAT

aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am totally confused as to what the difference between the two are. If anyone can clarify that would be great. They both literally sound the same, are there any small difference that I don't know about? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PAT is using one public IP address for a private network of multiple devices (Like your home. Etwork) while static NAT is more of one to one. Each machine could have it's own public IP, but one private IP is mapped to one public. You could always just assign the public IP addresses if you had enough by configuring the public address pool, but generally it's more secure to configure NAT.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks appreciate the reply.
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    PAT is also known as NAT overload (or more specifically Dynamic NAT overload). I was talking to some industry professionals that had never heard of PAT as they only heard it reffered to as NAT overload.
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    PAT is also known as NAT overload (or more specifically Dynamic NAT overload). I was talking to some industry professionals that had never heard of PAT as they only heard it reffered to as NAT overload.

Like folks have already mentioned, think of it like this:

Static NAT means we are statically assigning a translation from one address of to another address.

PAT means we are saying "Multiple IP addresses are translated to this one address"
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Vask3n wrote: »
    Like folks have already mentioned, think of it like this:

Static NAT means we are statically assigning a translation from one address of to another address.

PAT means we are saying "Multiple IP addresses are translated to this one address"

Very good explanation! I forgot to mention that static NAT is similar (maybe the same as?)to port forwarding used on consumer grade routers. For example I'm running static NAT for port 80 to my home webserver, but the same router is also running NAT overload to provide internet connectivity to the rest of the devices.