Options

Stanley CC Class August - Oct 2014

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    now iif only I can find those launch codes (C&C reference).... and migrated to a new job soon so I can spend more time at home and less time traveling home...
  • Options
    manderamandera Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also received an e-mail yesterday that I'm able to register for the class.

Hopefully I'm one of the first 25, looking forward to a reply. :)
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    I also got the email yesterday, and promptly replied. Anyone know how long it would take to get a response?
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    Just received an e-mail that i'm enrolled in the class after responding to the registration e-mail from a few days ago! Gonna make the payment immediately. I'm very excited to start this journey!
  • Options
    Can someone help me log in. I got the email instructions with a userid, a username and a password. When I try to log in, I keep getting an invalid id and password.
  • Options
    afonoafono Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I just registered for the fall class, but my question is I have no experience within VMWare. Being completely new in the field, do I need any prior experience to complete the course, or would I be able to learn as I go?

thank
  • Options
    I also registered for the class. You should be able to learn as you go. Once you get the basic concepts of virtualization, it's not that hard to grasp. The important thing to realize is that with Vsphere, you build the infrastructure from the ground up, starting with the hypervisor which is ESXi.
    You then manage the ESXI from Vcenter Server. This handles all of the administration of your virtual machines, vSAN, etc... these terms will soon be very familiar.
  • Options
    got my email on Saturday and paid for it on Sunday. Got an email last night that I'm enrolled in the class and I ordered the book.

Looking forward to the class and then to reverse engineer the VMware labs into my own R610 cluster.
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Got a quick question, I have already enrolled and paid my payment for the class. I was wondering when the class starts?? I going to be part of an exercise so I may miss the first week, but when I look for the class on the student portal can't seem to see anything about this class, just the fact that I paid my 185 to the school.
  • Options
    CCNTrainee wrote: »
    Got a quick question, I have already enrolled and paid my payment for the class. I was wondering when the class starts?? I going to be part of an exercise so I may miss the first week, but when I look for the class on the student portal can't seem to see anything about this class, just the fact that I paid my 185 to the school.

You should have received an email. If not call them.
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Well I finally got the email to confirm my Moodle account... thou I have another question for the people that have taken the course as well.

I have the Scott Lowe book on the way but I was wondering if I should invest into the Stanley text books as well?? Paying 30 extra to have it shipped out in Korea is kind of steep...
  • Options
    afonoafono Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Itrimble wrote: »
    I also registered for the class. You should be able to learn as you go. Once you get the basic concepts of virtualization, it's not that hard to grasp. The important thing to realize is that with Vsphere, you build the infrastructure from the ground up, starting with the hypervisor which is ESXi.
    You then manage the ESXI from Vcenter Server. This handles all of the administration of your virtual machines, vSAN, etc... these terms will soon be very familiar.

Thanks Itrimble for the response. Sounds good, looking forward in starting this course tomorrow.
  • Options
    jleydon82jleydon82 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been working on VMware for awhile now and while there are components that get fairly complex, it is very easy to grasp and understand how things works. I've gone through training and books before for it that break down the fundamentals and I assume that the class will as well. Where you breakdown networking and SAN basics and how they work with VMware. That along with Labs and additional knowledge of VMware products and how they work and you should be able to find a lot of concepts rather easy now that you understand the inner-workings.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Class started yesterday and everyone should have logged in by now. If you have any issues with your u/n and p/w please contact our help desk. Here is a link for their info: https://helpdesk.stanly.edu/support/users/main.php

I know some of you are waiting on your textbook. You can start the class without it by reviewing the videos and other class material that is posted for you in your Moodle class. Additionally, you are to use the lab instructions that are available for you in the online lab utility.

Good luck getting started, and please let your instructor know right away if you have any questions.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took the Mar-May class and here are a few things that might make your experience better/smoother:

1. STANLY_CC here on TE is very responsive. PM's were answered quickly.
    2. Don't be afraid to reach out to your course instructor. Every email was answered in a timely manner. Not to mention, when I was having an issue that was a bit too complicated to send via email, I received a call from the instructor and was able, with his help, to correct the issue.
    3. You do not need any books to complete the course. There are pdf files you use with each lab that will walk you through what you need to accomplish. The videos are good and explain what your upcoming labs are supposed to accomplish.
    4. Last, but not least, take advantage of the free VMware software! It will save you a ton of money!

I had a blast taking the class and highly recommend it. Have fun while trooping through the videos and labs.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    How fast can you go through the course? Do you have to work at the rate of the class? Or can you power through the labs?
  • Options
    jleydon82jleydon82 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How fast can you go through the course? Do you have to work at the rate of the class? Or can you power through the labs?

I believe that when these schools offer it, VMware has a sort of restriction in place so not as much information can be released at the same time. This means you won't have access to everything all at once. However, it seems by week 4 all content is available. I do feel though in a class like this where it is staggered out over weeks is very helpful since this is not going to be your sole resource for passing the test. In the meantime you can fill in time by building your own clusters using what was learned from labs and reading through a book like Mastering 5.5.
  • Options
    The Mastering 5.5 books is good. I recently tore down my 5.5 lab so I could do this course for 5.1. Is there a 5.1 book you'd recommend? Or do you think I could keep my 5.1 lab and do most of the exercises from the 5.5. book?
  • Options
    tah84agtah84ag Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    4. Last, but not least, take advantage of the free VMware software! It will save you a ton of money!

Where is this located on the class site? Or is it just the vsphere licenses they provide (which i used in my online class lab already)?
  • Options
    @tah84ag I was wondering the same thing. It'd be great if I could use the same key for labbing at home.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you can use this book for the labs and overall studying. Their recommended book could be good but i for the price you can't go wrong with Scott's Book

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMware-vSphere-Scott-Lowe/dp/0470890800/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408776155&sr=8-1&keywords=mastering+vmware+vsphere+5.1
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    tah84ag wrote: »
    Where is this located on the class site? Or is it just the vsphere licenses they provide (which i used in my online class lab already)?

...in the eyes of some crafty nerdie people licensing doesn't really mean much... *cough*

... just don't use it in a production world...
  • Options
    dustinpoplindustinpoplin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if you're in my class, but mine is located in the class on the top left (link says "Access VMware Store").

Edit: This is in response to the VMware licenses question.
  • Options
    Try this link for the free VMware software.

I believe you will use your moodle account info to log in. If anyone else can remember, and my info is incorrect, please provide the right log in info.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    Thanks @stryder1444 and @justfred I was able to log onto the vmware store and get what I needed.
  • Options
    Thanks @stryder1444 and @justfred I was able to log onto the vmware store and get what I needed.

Awesome!

• Options
    tah84agtah84ag Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure if you're in my class, but mine is located in the class on the top left (link says "Access VMware Store").

Edit: This is in response to the VMware licenses question.

Ah didn't see that link. Thank you!
  • Options
    I really like this course so far. Just finished Module 5.

The lectures are ok but the instructor sounds really bored sometimes. Could be a bit more enthusiastic.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes Mandera

I hate the same trouble as well . The lecturer sounds a bit bored .

Nevertheless this whole course along with the exam voucher is good value for money .
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    pa67pa67 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, I'm following this class too. I've encountered an issue. (I think is the same issue of this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/95512-spring-2014-vmware-courses-stanly-community-college-9.html#post852951 in the spring class). At the end of lesson 2 of module 3, there is a slide about lab 3 and the creation and preparation of a virtual machine, but the pdf of lab 3 in the Netlab+ enviroment, is about configuring the vcenter server appliance, it seems more like the argument of module 4 rather than module 3. There is a "domino effect" to the other lab: the lab 4 is about virtual switch not vCenter server architecture like in the module 4, the lab 5 is about iscsi storage not vnetwork standard switches and so on. Have you encountered the same issue, is it fixable? Did you create the virtual machine, anyway? In the pdf they added a note about "slight" differences between labs and lessons, is this lab3's issue the case?
    Thanks