Options

Stanley CC Class August - Oct 2014

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    mandera wrote: »
    I really like this course so far. Just finished Module 5.

The lectures are ok but the instructor sounds really bored sometimes. Could be a bit more enthusiastic.

Does he reads every piece of text on the slide in a monotone voice? If so we must have the same instructor. I've gotten so bored of the videos I'm just reading the class lecture manual; it has all the slides in from the videos and has information that the instructor skips in the video.

P.S.

If you listen closely on the "Configuring iSCSI Storage" video, you can hear either an animal or a kid playing with a toy that makes squeaking sounds. lol....
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    pa67 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm following this class too. I've encountered an issue. (I think is the same issue of this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/95512-spring-2014-vmware-courses-stanly-community-college-9.html#post852951 in the spring class). At the end of lesson 2 of module 3, there is a slide about lab 3 and the creation and preparation of a virtual machine, but the pdf of lab 3 in the Netlab+ enviroment, is about configuring the vcenter server appliance, it seems more like the argument of module 4 rather than module 3. There is a "domino effect" to the other lab: the lab 4 is about virtual switch not vCenter server architecture like in the module 4, the lab 5 is about iscsi storage not vnetwork standard switches and so on. Have you encountered the same issue, is it fixable? Did you create the virtual machine, anyway? In the pdf they added a note about "slight" differences between labs and lessons, is this lab3's issue the case?
    Thanks

I'm experiencing the same issue. The way im approaching this course now is watching all the videos, then re-watching them and taking notes. Finally i'll start with the labs. I also printed out guides to various products (ex..Vcenter) from VMware and watch other videos on YouTube/CBTs for more details.
  • Options
    pa67 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm following this class too. I've encountered an issue. (I think is the same issue of this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/95512-spring-2014-vmware-courses-stanly-community-college-9.html#post852951 in the spring class). At the end of lesson 2 of module 3, there is a slide about lab 3 and the creation and preparation of a virtual machine, but the pdf of lab 3 in the Netlab+ enviroment, is about configuring the vcenter server appliance, it seems more like the argument of module 4 rather than module 3. There is a "domino effect" to the other lab: the lab 4 is about virtual switch not vCenter server architecture like in the module 4, the lab 5 is about iscsi storage not vnetwork standard switches and so on. Have you encountered the same issue, is it fixable? Did you create the virtual machine, anyway? In the pdf they added a note about "slight" differences between labs and lessons, is this lab3's issue the case?
    Thanks

I know what you're saying and I think they didn't structure the labs very well in regards to the lesson plans. Definitely do the labs in order or you'll have problems later on. Also, read the lecture manual while you're doing the labs. As I stated in my previous post, the videos are ok, but the presenter isn't very good and the slides for them are in the book.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Here's something nifty, if you complete the labs ahead of time, the instructor will reset the labs and you can re-do them. Once the next block of labs is released, I'll get them done in no time and the instructor said he could reset them for more practice icon_rolleyes.gif:) ... just food for thought...
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Here's something nifty, if you complete the labs ahead of time, the instructor will reset the labs and you can re-do them. Once the next block of labs is released, I'll get them done in no time and the instructor said he could reset them for more practice icon_rolleyes.gif:) ... just food for thought...

Thanks for the info! Also, make sure you download all the PDFs so you can repeat the labs in the future on your own virtual lab.
  • Options
    Verities wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! Also, make sure you download all the PDFs so you can repeat the labs in the future on your own virtual lab.

The instructor was kind enough to send me a zip of all of the PDF's. :)
  • Options
    Finished all of the labs. :)
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    So do we have to wait until October before we can take the test ?

I'm currently on Lab 12. I plan to finish in a couple of days. Did you only lab, or did you watch each lecture that accompanied the labs?
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am schedule to take the class next year.
    Regarding the labs, how easy is it to reproduce them in a home lab? I am planning on having my lab ready to do the labs online and then to them again at home for repetition. How many servers are needed?
  • Options
    Itrimble wrote: »
    So do we have to wait until October before we can take the test ?

I'm currently on Lab 12. I plan to finish in a couple of days. Did you only lab, or did you watch each lecture that accompanied the labs?

I personally watched each video, then did the module labs and then I reverse engineered the labs in my home-based dual Dell R610 cluster for added practice.

I'm in thep rocess right now of re-doing the labs, Mr. Crump just reset all of my labs so I guess that means I passed.

What test do you speak of, you can take the the VCP5-DCV test as soon as the class is over in theory but me personally I'm reading Scott Lowe's book right now and I've breeze-read 8 chapters since the class already taught me the core basics.

To each here own I suppose...
  • Options
    manderamandera Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Finished the last lectures this morning. Gonna complete the labs this week. Then I will start preparing to take the test. I already started reading Mastering vSphere 5.5 from S. Lowe.

I'm still a bit disappointed about the instructor, who did not answer my problem on the forums about the VMware Store. And I still think he was really bored/sleepy or something like that during recording.
  • Options
    Itrimble wrote: »
    So do we have to wait until October before we can take the test ? I'm currently on Lab 12. I plan to finish in a couple of days. Did you only lab, or did you watch each lecture that accompanied the labs?
    You have to wait until after the class ends and VMware is informed that you completed the class. Once you're authorized to take the exam, you can schedule it. I finished the labs a while ago and have been studying since then for the exam. I'm feeling a bit like Bender right now: Let's go Already! - YouTube
  • Options
    Class is finished today but there are some problems with the Netlab environment. I don't see a grade in my profile right now, does anyone else already received a grade?
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    I have 4 hours to finish my labs before deadline however Netlabs is down. I hope they offer an extension for it. I'd hate to take the class again.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Same here. I've emailed the instructor but no response. Looks like i just wasted almost 200 and 8 weeks.
  • Options
    I received a course completion email from the instructor this morning and he mentioned NetLabs being down (most likely due to a lot of people waiting until the last minute to pump out their labs). He also said he'll be emailing out the vouchers in a few day
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    When you got your course completion email, was it in Moodle ? Or was it in your personal email address?

I tried to log into Moodle this morning, but the course was shut down. When I tried the access the olly2.vmware class, it was completely down for me yesterday.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    I got an email; I completed the class successfully. :)

Been re-reading the Scott Lowe/Nick Marshal book and I scheduled the exam for the end of the month. icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    I'm pretty stressed right now, haven't received an e-mail yet...
  • Options
    jleydon82jleydon82 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good to hear. I assume it might be sometime for everyone to get emails since they have to review labs. So I would not go crazy if you don't see an e-mail immediately regarding passing.
  • Options
    AnotherMasikAnotherMasik Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't receive any emails yet.
    I've emailed some questions to instructor on Monday, buy didn't get any response.
    Might be someone knows, how long does it take to get this course in our records under VMware account?
  • Options
    I've been in contact with the instructor on a daily basis pouncing thoughts off his head and what not...

I completed the labs as soon as they were posted and nabbed the rest on the home cluster. - kind of showed last month's electric bill was crazy....
  • Options
    jleydon82jleydon82 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't receive any emails yet.
    I've emailed some questions to instructor on Monday, buy didn't get any response.
    Might be someone knows, how long does it take to get this course in our records under VMware account?

I went on last night to VMware's site to schedule my exam and it verified I was allowed to and let me sign up. I am not sure if that means it pulled the data from completing the class or not but it might have.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since the lab access has been extended for students who had not completed the majority of the labs, we cannot close out the class with the VMware academy yet by entering grades. This will be done by the end of this week. After that, it takes VMware 2 - 4 weeks to complete the processes on their end and for the course to show as completed in your "MyLearn" account.

Students who receive a "satisfactory" ConEd grade, will receive an SCC certificate of completion in about a month.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a p/m here.

mandera wrote: »
    Class is finished today but there are some problems with the Netlab environment. I don't see a grade in my profile right now, does anyone else already received a grade?
  • Options
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Since the lab access has been extended for students who had not completed the majority of the labs, we cannot close out the class with the VMware academy yet by entering grades. This will be done by the end of this week. After that, it takes VMware 2 - 4 weeks to complete the processes on their end and for the course to show as completed in your "MyLearn" account.

Students who receive a "satisfactory" ConEd grade, will receive an SCC certificate of completion in about a month.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a p/m here.

It is probably because I'm new user here, I can't find an option to send p/m.
    Is there any place online where we can check the grade for this class? I'm no longer have an access to the class page.
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should contact your instructor to make sure you completed what is needed to pass. Since this is ConEd, the grades are "Satisfactory" & "Unsatisfactory".
    It is probably because I'm new user here, I can't find an option to send p/m.
    Is there any place online where we can check the grade for this class? I'm no longer have an access to the class page.
  • Options
    Just received an e-mail on my private address that I passed the class! The exam voucher is included and VMware will be updated in a few days to weeks. Thanks Stanly!
  • Options
    Me as-well. Now to wait for it to post on the VMware portal.
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wish I could say the same I've been unable to finish my last couple labs because of the labs being up and down for the last few days. The instructors has been very responsive so hopefully I'll get a chance to finish up and get my voucher and have my VMware transcript updated with the course.
  • Options
    Yesterday I've got an email that I passed the course! icon_lol.gif Thank you, Stanly_CC!