Options

Finally in Help Desk

All,
I just wanted to provide some motivation to those still looking to break in to the industry. I have just accepted a Help Desk position within my company (was a bank teller). After applying to so many positions I was thinking I would have to pass the CCNA just to land an entry level position. I also found out that the other techs are still working on their A+ so I'm pretty excited that I have a head start.

Any tips for how to excel at this position and move up?

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    You won't excel through having a piece of paper, you will however excel by demonstrating you have the necessary skills to take on various tasks. This should be your focus, not who has what piece of paper. Take on everything you can until the job becomes mundane and easy...then it's time for the next step. Rinse and repeat and before you know it you will be light years ahead of today. Of course along the way you supplement your skills with high level certifications.

Congrats!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 I completely agree with what RouteMyPacket said. You can have 1000 certifications, but at the end of the day if you don't know how to do your job and resolve issues.... what good are you? Just learn as much as you can at work, and supplement with studying to understand HOW stuff works. WHAT it is that happens behind the scenes when you apply some sort of configuration. This will help your troubleshooting skills tremendously. At first I thought RouteMyPacket was a very blunt person (sorry mate), but I've come to realize that he is just speaking the truth. He doesn't waste time sugar coating stuff, and if you just take the advice he gave you into consideration then you will do well.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, hopefully I will be hopping on this train myself soon
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    You won't excel through having a piece of paper, you will however excel by demonstrating you have the necessary skills to take on various tasks. This should be your focus, not who has what piece of paper. Take on everything you can until the job becomes mundane and easy...then it's time for the next step. Rinse and repeat and before you know it you will be light years ahead of today. Of course along the way you supplement your skills with high level certifications.

Congrats!

Some solid advice from RouteMyPacket as usual, congrats on the new job as well!
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement! I can't wait to get started. Sounds like there is a lot of just user support and password resets. I'm also glad to hear that the networking/systems team sits right accross from the help desk. I definitely agree that my ability to do the job is much more important than a certification but I feel they will be a nice complement in a year or two. Is there anything I should brush up prior to my first day?