Options

New user and student trying to get into IT, Resume critique and advice appreciated

TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, just joined this forum and wanting to be an active part this community.

I was in school for law enforcement 3 years ago until I decided that I wanted nothing to do with it. Financial reasons required me to take a break from school so I could work a second job and get back onto a stable field. I just recently got back into school for computer networking and systems in my local community college and am going to finish my associate's degree in that. I took a basic computer class, a network+ class, and MCSA and MCSE classes on windows 8.1 desktops. I have my Net+ exam scheduled at the end of July and am hoping that it will help me finally get some calls from my job applications instead of constant rejection letters. I really want to become a Network Administrator after I can get some solid experience, and eventually a Network Engineer.

Anyways, if someone could give me sound critique on my current resume, that would be fantastic!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D85685A3BC204633!1746&authkey=!AI3F6j2t47YI5vg&ithint=file%2c.docx

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd change the objective to a summary, and move the skills above the work experience. I realize without IT experience you might be trying to fill space but you could easily remove the forklift operator skill and Russian language skills.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is that your actual personal information at the top of the resume? If so, you should remove that information immediately. It's not smart to list your phone number and email address on a public internet forum, not to mention your home address.

Changing objective to summary is a very good idea. Objective sections are redundant and frowned upon from what I understand. A summary section would be much more useful.

I would definitely leave Russian speaking skill on your resume. Being bilingual is a great skill to possess, and you never know when this might benefit you in your career or opportunities. I wish I was bilingual myself.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    Is that your actual personal information at the top of the resume? If so, you should remove that information immediately. It's not smart to list your phone number and email address on a public internet forum, not to mention your home address.

Changing objective to summary is a very good idea. Objective sections are redundant and frowned upon from what I understand. A summary section would be much more useful.

I would definitely leave Russian speaking skill on your resume. Being bilingual is a great skill to possess, and you never know when this might benefit you in your career or opportunities. I wish I was bilingual myself.

Completely slipped my mind until I just got home that I have that on there lol

My professors who looked at my resume told me to leave the forklift operator on there as it shows that I can follow procedures and whatnot, but I agree that it's completely irrelevant. I agree with keeping the Russian speaking part as well, not seeing any benefit to exclude it.

Now for the summary part, what are the guidelines for that? Should I list it at the beginning or at the end of the resume? Should I keep the structure of it similar to my objective just edit it out?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could move the forklift operator info and integrate it into the experience section for that job.

Summary section reads a little different than an Objective section.

This thread is a great example of a properly written and formatted resume:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options