Options

Starting Entry Level Help Desk Job

I am starting an entry level help desk job on Monday. I have no experience on a professional level, but have passed the CCENT, and am currently studying for A+.

I was wondering if anyone with experience in a help desk job can give me some good advice or tips before I start? Or just some good information to read up on. I just want to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Tom239Tom239 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah use OneNote. Right down notes on how the company wants it done ;) every business is different. icon_thumright.gif Good Luck
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Treat every call like it's a VIP and do whatever you can for them within your scope. Be reliable and open to learn; don't ever get overly proud or think you know everything as people like that typically don't go very far.
  • Options
    bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
    Thanks guys.

Anymore info or advice is welcome!
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    do not be afraid to let the user that you do not know something! But do assure them that you will try your best.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Just be yourself and continue learning as you go along, it is quite obvious, you knew enough for them to hire you, now run with that opportunity and help the customer, even the difficult ones, because you will have them, but go with the flow and dig in to your mind to help come up with the solutions that will help your customers, you are the first line of defense and should do fine.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful.
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Users will think you are a psychic who instantly knows what their issue is and a magician that can fix any problem within seconds. Have a lot of patience and don't be afraid to use the mute button. Read internal documentation; you'll most likely find answers to many common issues.
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    Ask the user plenty of questions. Many things will be basic fixes, but the user may give you a general problem like "my computer won't turn on." You can go many directions with that one.
    :lol:
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Congrats on the job! I'm in the exact position you are in (except I passed A+ and Network+ and working on CCENT) I start my first entry level Help Desk job next Monday. Sounds like you are a week ahead of me so feel free to report any tips back here :)