Options

CCNA (200-120) passed!

Kenneth196Kenneth196 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all. A few days ago, I went to take the CCNA 200-120 and... I passed! 862/1000. Thought I would have done better but after looking at the percentage break down, I saw that I made 40% on network security. I had a few sims, one being an ACL sim, and I'm sure I did pretty poorly on it, not to mention any ACL questions. I get the gist of ACLs, but I always get stuck on wildcard masks. I need to find a good youtube video over wildcard masks.

My study methods were:

- Wendell Odom CCNA 200-120 book
- Some CBT Nuggets
- A week long Global Knowledge boot camp (this was my main "study"
method, as it helped drill everything into my head, even things I already knew of). http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/101099-ccna-boot-camp-global-knowledge.html
-Youtube - Dan Courses. I'm sure this is a popular channel for us network guys to refer off of. Very easy guy to understand. He's straight and to the point.
-Work experience - I've been working in a network role now for about a year, so working with actual routers, switches, wireless access points, etc made me familiar with the CLI early on, even if I didnt know "why" I was going it, but just that I was doing it.
-TechExams forums! Everyone here is very helpful. I dont post often but I'm always trolling and reading to learn from others. Thank you all for supporting one another. It especially helps people like me who come just to read mainly.

Next up - CCNP-Route! Now I need to do some research on the best CCNP study methods and how to use GNS3.
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks." - Unknown

Comments

• Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on defeating the Monster CCNA! I hope your job search goes well!
  • Options
    MrPuzzlez wrote: »
    Congrats on defeating the Monster CCNA! I hope your job search goes well!

Thanks! I currently work as an IT network analyst so no job search needed haha.
    "Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks." - Unknown
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Kenneth196 wrote: »
    I get the gist of ACLs, but I always get stuck on wildcard masks. I need to find a good youtube video over wildcard masks.

Hey Congrats. Just a little tip on wildcard masks... they are fairly simple if you just use the 255 subtraction rule.

Fore example: 255.255.255.252 becomes 0.0.0.3 if you subtract 255 from each octet. Basically the inverse if you flipped the bits.

Another... 255.255.248.0 would be 0.0.7.255
    and 255.255.255.240 would be 0.0.0.15

Eventually you will be doing it in your head!

As far as GNS3 for CCNP.... I am using it for ROUTE. It is when you get to SWITCH where you should have an actual physical Switch lab to work with or some rental rack time since GNS3 is not good on the Switch side.

Hope that helps.

and congrats again!
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    Hey Congrats. Just a little tip on wildcard masks... they are fairly simple if you just use the 255 subtraction rule.

Fore example: 255.255.255.252 becomes 0.0.0.3 if you subtract 255 from each octet. Basically the inverse if you flipped the bits.

Another... 255.255.248.0 would be 0.0.7.255
    and 255.255.255.240 would be 0.0.0.15

Eventually you will be doing it in your head!

As far as GNS3 for CCNP.... I am using it for ROUTE. It is when you get to SWITCH where you should have an actual physical Switch lab to work with or some rental rack time since GNS3 is not good on the Switch side.

Hope that helps.

and congrats again!

Thanks Vinny! That's a great way of explaining inverse masks. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Is it possible to fully use gns3 for ccnp route (for lab purposes)?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Thanks Vinny! That's a great way of explaining inverse masks. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Is it possible to fully use gns3 for ccnp route (for lab purposes)?

For the ROUTE, if you can't get your hands on equipment, I say yes. That is why I am studying for that test first. It works great for me. Watching 'DEBUGS's of the processes I run is the part that really helps you understand what is going on behind the scenes, and if you don't have real equipment, GNS3 is as good as it gets. Simulators will not have all the commands or act the way a real router does. Now I know GNS3 is not a real router, but emulation is better than simulation when you don't have the hardware.

When I am finished with ROUTE, I will get some equipment for the home. I currently work in IT so I do have hands on experience with the real gear, but labbing at home on your own time I feel is the best way to learn, since most of my time at work is wasted being in useless meetings! LOL!

Good luck on the next steps and stay in touch!
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Great job!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    AhmailAhmail Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome Job! I am going to attempt to sit for Icnd2 this Wed.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Next up - CCNP-Route! Now I need to do some research on the best CCNP study methods and how to use GNS3.
    Also check out Cisco IOU.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    For the ROUTE, if you can't get your hands on equipment, I say yes. That is why I am studying for that test first. It works great for me. Watching 'DEBUGS's of the processes I run is the part that really helps you understand what is going on behind the scenes, and if you don't have real equipment, GNS3 is as good as it gets. Simulators will not have all the commands or act the way a real router does. Now I know GNS3 is not a real router, but emulation is better than simulation when you don't have the hardware.

When I am finished with ROUTE, I will get some equipment for the home. I currently work in IT so I do have hands on experience with the real gear, but labbing at home on your own time I feel is the best way to learn, since most of my time at work is wasted being in useless meetings! LOL!

Good luck on the next steps and stay in touch!

Gotcha. Thanks again Vinny. And thanks everyone!

merc.man: Good luck!!!

Ninjaturle: Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely check it out