Options

1U Serial (Console) Cable bracket

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

anyone know were I could find a 1U console cable bracket? - I've seen them on other peoples racks I just have no clue were to find them and google isn't being very helpful. icon_cry.gif

I'd really like to cable manage all of these console cable into one unit and then connect to them from the front on a as-needed basis.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you thinking of something like an access server or more like a patch panel just for your console cables?

*edit - Do you by any chance have photo of one from any of the lab posts
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Are you thinking of something like an access server or more like a patch panel just for your console cables?

*edit - Do you by any chance have photo of one from any of the lab posts

I know Iris has one. would like something like her's.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm guessing what your after is an access server but I am not sure.

Here is what I found about Iristheangel lab.

It contains the following:
    2x 4948 w/10GE
    2x 3560s
    2x 3750
    1x 2960S
    1x 2504 WLC
    1x 3602 AP
    1x Meraki MR34
    4x 1142N APs
    4x 2801 ISR

Nothing jumps out at me.

Try looking up a Cisco AS2509 or AS2511 and see if thats what you are thinking of.

Cisco AS2509 RJ 8 Port RJ45 Asynchronous Access Server Router | eBay
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Ltat42a wrote: »

sort of it, it would look like that but have a row of RS232 connections and then one master connection that goes from the unit to your PC with a button to switch between the connections. I've seen it before just can't find the name for it.

It's like a KVM switch but only for console cables. I'd really like to cable manage the console cables and plug them into this unit and then just have one connection to the PC with like I said a button to toggle between the connections.

or...

if they make a RS232 expansion card for my PC with a ton of RS232 connections that would work too...
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have a card in my PC, that handles 8 serial connections, works just fine, I bought it on ebay for about $35 bucks, I believe, you can get them with I believe up to 16 serial ports, I also have 5 USB to serial converters that I can plug into a hub and with the factory serial cable port on my computer I have access to 14 connections available to me. Just do a search on ebay for a multi port serial card. You can also do a search for 8 port serial card and it will bring up quite a few listings.

Link to a 16 port card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-port-RS232-PCI-Multiport-Serial-Card-Xilinx-Spartan-Chipset-/280986572923?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item416c1ad87b
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I have a card in my PC, that handles 8 serial connections, works just fine, I bought it on ebay for about $35 bucks, I believe, you can get them with I believe up to 16 serial ports, I also have 5 USB to serial converters that I can plug into a hub and with the factory serial cable port on my computer I have access to 14 connections available to me. Just do a search on ebay for a multi port serial card. You can also do a search for 8 port serial card and it will bring up quite a few listings.

Link to a 16 port card:

16 Port RS232 PCI Multiport Serial Card Xilinx Spartan Chipset | eBay

Thanks man, much appreciated!