Options

Affective Today my job has been outsourced!

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

As some of you know I've been talking about moving on for months now but its officially happened; my roles have been outsourced.

My boss says he wants the new IT company to be "held accountable" and thus all of my administrative rights have been removed and the IT firm only want me to be basically a help desk role. icon_sad.gif

I really feel extremely bored now like this job is now a reversal of all things I've done the past 3 years and it's really upsetting. I think the sooner I get out the better. I've networked over the years heavily on LinkedIn and many of my friends from college are moving along well in their career's have given me recommendations to jobs at their current jobs and I've been getting phone calls.

I'm starting to think the idea of a employer always seeing you as how you were when you were hired and not the person you are now is clearly why this is all happening. Meaning, they just don't give me the respect I deserve because they will always see me as the Junior IT person 3 years ago and not the mid-range engineer I've become. Nearly every job position I see online I can read with confidence that I can uphold them; 3 years ago it would have been a different story.

Am I going the right route, should I GTFO ASAP or stick through with it?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should get out immediately. Why would you possibly stick around longer than it takes to secure something new?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I agree with networker. To be entirely honest I am wondering why you even asked this question. I worked for a company once that was starting to outsource our department to some horrible Indian company with way under qualified technicians. I left WAY before things even got rocky and it turned out that the new company was so bad that they were all fired shortly after and the old department was brought back. I'm still glad I left when I did, no regrets..
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the two above me, it shouldn't even be a question. Get out of there and onto a new environment. I just feel for you because I see your location in Poughkeepsie and I know the IT market in that area pays lower than a lot of others from what I have seen at least. Unless you are willing to go closer to NYC.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    what everyone else said. Look, with any job, you only stick around for as long as your getting something from it (experience, learning different skills, etc). Once that stops, its time to leave and really the longer you stay in a place where you arent learning more, you are effectively losing money and hurting your career. So start looking now! Now, having said that, i might not mention that you were essentially demoted because it may hurt your leverage negotiating. Just say that you have gotten as far as you can in that role and there is no room for additional upward advancement so you unfortunately need to look at other options.

Good luck!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    You need to get out ASAP while you can still have your much better experience on your resume. If you stick in your current role with your new help desk type of duties, it will only hurt you in trying to pursue other mid-level jobs.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Doesn't even look like there is anything to stick through, hit that personal network and get out of there.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That does suck. Since they kept you on still it gives you the opportunity to hunt on your own terms and look for the best opportunity.

Good Luck with your next step up!
  • Options
    Thanks for the supportive words guys; I really have no idea why I've stuck around for as long as I have. I've really only been learning stuff the past 6 months from home study with Cisco, VMware, Sonicwall outside of that my knowledge hasn't grown much at my current job.

I've been submitting to jobs within 70 miles of my house which s about 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes. I'm used to commuting so it's normal to me. I know also I'm extremely under paid here, only 45k. Most jobs in the area that I've talked to I've asked for 60k (and I'm in 2nd and 3rd interviews with some of them) since I thought 60k would be a good ballpark to ask and they are all like "yes that totally within reason" ... I get the feeling I'm asking too low, some of them are like "wow we were expecting 70 to 80k"; I've been like.. icon_bounce.gif

But I do agree I've been essentially demoted and let me tell you my boss no longer sees my input as valid anymore on anything so it's really not a good place for me to stay. But I do agree me being here for whatever I'm doing is good since it allows me to look elsewhere. I do have one job, the one some of you heard off but it's a 1099 and the guy said "don't quite just yet, I can only give you like 20 to 30 hours @ 65 an hour for right now" ... so I'm not sure about it since I'd need to pay for ObamaCare.

I think the biggest reason why I have left is becasue I've become complacent with my job and that's why I haven't left yet. But I realize I can't stay here now anymore since I will get dumber, lol!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    At least it is income until you find something better.

I work at a job that is pretty greatly outsourced at the moment and slowly bringing little parts back in and I know what you are talking about. I am bored and feel like half the time I dont even know why I am here. Only reason I stayed was A - My contract was running out and I needed permanent work because my wife is pregnant. B - It pays really well. The Mrs has even told me that once the little one is here feel free to look for something closer to home.

Find that place where you belong and keep us informed :)
  • Options
    I think the IT gods are watching over me....

I had some issues this morning and my personal phone was on silent, I had 6 missed calls plus voicemails, all from job submission over the weekend! ... I was only gone from my desk from 9:30 am till now, 11:30 am.

icon_cheers.gificon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    Good to hear, let us know when you end up and how the pay/position etc compares to the current gig.
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As the others have stated just get out. If you have the time you may want to get more credentials.

Good luck in finding a new job!!! Just remember not to be too desperate about leaving. Be a little more confident and fair to yourself. No offense, we really don't want to see a post from you in a month saying that you like the job but are not getting paid for the work you are doing or that os commensorate with your coworkers :)
    Look for a position that has good pay and benefits. Culture is important as well so make sure you are comfortable with the company be with for a while (in IT years at least).
  • Options
    CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ouch, sorry to hear about this mate. As has already been written, my advice would be to try to get out ASAP. It sounds like you've done the right thing and networked with people, which is bound to help. I spent 25 months stagnating in my old job before re-discovering my enthusiasm for work (And life in general really) when I acquired my current role just under 2 years ago, and I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone. Good luck.
  • Options
    well just had 4 phone interviews during lunch, called them back 1 by 1. 2 more called me back and said they will contact me after 5 pm.

Most of them are Networking and System administration jobs. I kind of want to work in a focused field now instead of being a JOAT's. I mean I'll do a JOAT's but I kind of want to avoid it now; their is just not enough time in a day in some large networks.

But one thing I like is so far most of the jobs have IT departments with 1 or 2 people in them already so it won't just be myself. You can only learn so much when you are by yourself...
  • Options
    Perhaps me posting on here spurred positive vibes on the Internet today.

As mentioned had 4 phone interviews at lunch. Had another one call me at 2. Then had one call me at 4. Now I have one at 6 pm tonight and one for 4:30 tomorrow.

I broadened my postings on Sunday to CT, Albany NY, and Westchester/Rockland county (which are the counties above NYC)

What a promising day this turned out to be...

Rofl as I'm typing this on my phone I just got another email response. ..
  • Options
    What kind of commute will these locations mean for you?
  • Options
    About the same, 1 hour drive.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds promising keep it up dude!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Update: It's now Tuesday night and so far I've had 10 phone interviews in 24 hours and all of them want a 2nd interview. A few of them are a 30 minute drive from were I live and 60 to 70k start which is major increase from what I make now, one of them is a MSP but I kind of would like to work for a MSP so I can get exposure to multiple networks.

The one job, the MSP, asked me a few questions and I think I peaked their interest by a question they asked me. They asked me if "I have a Server 2012 server and I was adding it to a network with another 2008 R2 server what would I do 1st?"

... well I kind of threw the question back at them and asked them if there was more than one 2008 R2 server and they said why is that important and I said well you can't have some of the masters on the same DC or else it causes problems. They were like wow not many people know that; and the owner on the phone was like I guess you've done this before which I replied yes a few... they asked me a few AD questions which I answered correctly, and then went onto networking issues. Asked me if I ever built a network from scratch before; told them about Hurricane Sandy and they found that interesting. In closing I asked them how the company is doing and why the position was being made; two questions I thought were good to ask to gauge the position and long-term with them. Their expanding and need to acquire talent to grown within the company.

The other companies are equally interesting just the same commute as I do now, so it would all depend upon the pay.

I surprised even myself with some of the interviews since they all asked me questions that now after 3 years I take for granted as in there just another day at the office in the hands of a System/Network Administrator and I don't think much of it. But in the eyes of employers it shows understanding and knowledge of these issues.

I'm just optimistic and very hopeful I land one of them; I so want out of my current job and get back into the trenches and learn more stuff from hands on experiences plus all of these companies have multiple people in their IT departments and that upon itself is like a luxury thought to me since I've done it all by myself...
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Start narrowing down where to do the 2nd interviews at. I would limit to a few positions and let the others go.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    jesscole76jesscole76 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club. I was outsourced as a LAN Admin on 4\1. Here's the question. Do you qualify for a package if your laid off. I knew my time was up for a year. But couldn't resist a 4 month package. I just got hired after 3 months of looking. and I have 1 month of pay to go.
    Everything depends on your situation. Im marred, 2 kids, 2 mortgages. So being miserable is just life. my only advise is don't be stagnant
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Update: It's now Tuesday night and so far I've had 10 phone interviews in 24 hours and all of them want a 2nd interview. A few of them are a 30 minute drive from were I live and 60 to 70k start which is major increase from what I make now, one of them is a MSP but I kind of would like to work for a MSP so I can get exposure to multiple networks.

The one job, the MSP, asked me a few questions and I think I peaked their interest by a question they asked me. They asked me if "I have a Server 2012 server and I was adding it to a network with another 2008 R2 server what would I do 1st?"

... well I kind of threw the question back at them and asked them if there was more than one 2008 R2 server and they said why is that important and I said well you can't have some of the masters on the same DC or else it causes problems. They were like wow not many people know that; and the owner on the phone was like I guess you've done this before which I replied yes a few... they asked me a few AD questions which I answered correctly, and then went onto networking issues. Asked me if I ever built a network from scratch before; told them about Hurricane Sandy and they found that interesting. In closing I asked them how the company is doing and why the position was being made; two questions I thought were good to ask to gauge the position and long-term with them. Their expanding and need to acquire talent to grown within the company.

The other companies are equally interesting just the same commute as I do now, so it would all depend upon the pay.

I surprised even myself with some of the interviews since they all asked me questions that now after 3 years I take for granted as in there just another day at the office in the hands of a System/Network Administrator and I don't think much of it. But in the eyes of employers it shows understanding and knowledge of these issues.

I'm just optimistic and very hopeful I land one of them; I so want out of my current job and get back into the trenches and learn more stuff from hands on experiences plus all of these companies have multiple people in their IT departments and that upon itself is like a luxury thought to me since I've done it all by myself...

I am a little confused with the adding a Windows 2012 Server to a network with Windows 2008 Server. You can add Windows 2012 Server to a Windows 2008 R2 Network. I did not see where they asked if you were making that Windows 2012 Server a Domain Controller and what function level is the domain at? The first things you would have to do check the domain functional level because this will be the factor to add that Windows 2012 Server as a Domain Controller. I am guessing the question was purposed a little different.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish you the best of luck to find something new. NYC has alot of to offer. I use to live in NJ and was always working there. I do not miss the busy life style though.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I am a little confused with the adding a Windows 2012 Server to a network with Windows 2008 Server. You can add Windows 2012 Server to a Windows 2008 R2 Network. I did not see where they asked if you were making that Windows 2012 Server a Domain Controller and what function level is the domain at? The first things you would have to do check the domain functional level because this will be the factor to add that Windows 2012 Server as a Domain Controller. I am guessing the question was purposed a little different.

icon_rolleyes.gif ...whoops, ya they asked about making it a domain controller... would have been a helpful tid-bit. ;)

As for the purpose of the question, yes I even told them that the question could be answered in many different ways since it all depends upon a number of factors and variables. ...Which they were impressed that I knew this, it showed understanding.
  • Options
    I'm taking my vacation on the week of the 4th. It seems like good timing too, these jobs want 2nd and 3rd interviews.

four of them both want a 3rd interview that are 2 hours in length! - is that normal to have a ass-chewing for that long? icon_silent.gif
  • Options
    NetworkEng756NetworkEng756 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I'm taking my vacation on the week of the 4th. It seems like good timing too, these jobs want 2nd and 3rd interviews.

four of them both want a 3rd interview that are 2 hours in length! - is that normal to have a ass-chewing for that long? icon_silent.gif

I'm going through interviews at several companies right now, I even have one company that does 4! A phone interview with HR first, then a phone interview with the hiring manager, then a 2 1/2 hr on-site interview with hiring manager and staff, then a 4th on-site interview with the department VP, all on different days. All other companies I have started interviewing with have done 3 interviews. It's not fun.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your current job is the prototypical "first hop" into the rest of your career. In other words, you developed a base of skills and experience in a breadth of areas that will continue to serve you well into the future regardless of your next hop (JOAT or otherwise).

You need to get out of there now, though. Even if you move into something only lateral to what you had before you were outsourced.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Update: Had 3 more phone interviews today and 2 of them are MSP's but small scale about 15 to 20 people but in the area I live MSP do very well since it's allot of start up companies with a ton of big players.

They all asked me about 15 technical questions, things like: what is a STP and it's use, what is a vlan and what is it's purpose, what is the purpose of a wireless controller, what is the difference between thin and thick provisioning, what is vSphere FT/HA used for, What is the internet from a technical standpoint, what is a DMZ, what is the difference between a IDS and a IPS, what is the purpose of a DNS server, if a user has a icon at the bottom of their screen telling them there profile is limited what does it mean, what is the benefit of UTP and STP, and lastly what is the L2 and L3 switch used for.

overall it has been a good experience.

Today I had a meeting at my job with our replacement MSP company and they proposed a /24 network in our NJ location with vlans being used to segregate our wireless and ESXi cluster from the default broadcast domain. About 2 years ago and each month since I've pushed for a network redesign and my boss has always said I was incompetent to make such a thought process. So today when he asked why it was never done I was thinking in my brain "because you said I couldn't do it" and now at the meeting he made it out like it's my fault it was never done but in-fact he never gave me approval since "he thinks he know IT" better than the IT person (me) so I'm really at my witt's end with this job. I was being respectful but I seriously just wanted to say because you wouldn't allow me to make the changes but I knew it would only piss him off so I bite my tongue. he's quite egotistical.

All of these other jobs seem to like my technical knowledge thus far and they think of it highly compared to my current boss...
  • Options
    Taking my vacation for the year on the week of 4th and thus far I have a 3rd in-person interview with 4 companies on 2 days so far in the morning and afternoon. I'm hopeful I find one that suits me well.
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Is your wireless and esxi separated on different subnets already, or is it all lumped together (hope not!)?