Options

Which Cert to get?

TheEmperorTheEmperor Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently working as local tech support for a small not-for profit association. I said local because we have a consultant company who acts as network/server admin, they are off site. Anything wrong in the office I'm the first person employees call, if I cannot handle the problem then I call this consultant.

I have a BS in Computer Science and CompTIA A+,Network+, and Security+ certified. My other role in the company is Project Manager.

I want to start getting into InfoSec field and ultimately become a Pen tester. I have downloaded and installed Kali Linux to play with on my VM machines at home. I understand and love to work with computers. I know I need to get into real IT field to gain experience in order to knock on the doors of InfoSec prospective employers.

I'm debating between MCSE 2012 or CCNA certifications. After one of those, I would tackle the InfoSec Certs.

I know we have a lot of real life IT gurus in here, in your experience, which one is more beneficial for me to get an IT job?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You already have the qualifications to get an IT job, you have a BS in CS and the A/N/S+ certs. As for whether to go the MS or Cisco route next it really depends on what you want to do. Do you want to get into systems or network administration? If you want to get into infosec maybe start trying to focus on that instead?
  • Options
    thank you for your reply danielm7. I guess what I meant is that what advanced cert can I get? I think the road map for me to get into InfoSec is to get hands on experience with IT field and then make the transition over. it doesn't seem to have an entry-level job for InfoSec.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The best way to find out would be to go look at job postings for the type of jobs you want and see what the market is demanding.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh I understand your question, my point was telling you which advanced cert to get depends entirely on what you want to do in the future. If you just want to work with systems, a CCNA would be of less value, and if you just want to get into network infrastructure, then the MCSE would be of less value. Even saying you want to get into infosec is pretty general since there are so many directions to go within infosec. If you want to get into protecting the network, then sure, start with the CCNA, if you want to get into penetration testing then look another direction, etc, see where I'm going with this?
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies -

Danielm7: I see your point, I want to get into penetration testing, which direction should I take?

iBrokeIT: I look at the job postings, they all want some type of certs (CISSP, CEH, etc...[if I study hard enough I might get them] ) but require at least 5 years of hands on experience. I don't have such many years of hands on experience so my thought is get into the real IT works and find my way over InfoSec.